What To Put On After Brazilian Wax
Modified: August 2, 2023
Discover what to put on after a Brazilian wax for women. Learn about the best products and tips for post-wax care to soothe and protect your skin.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Under-tec.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Table of Contents
Embarking on a Brazilian waxing journey can be both daunting and empowering. The thought of a hair-free intimate area is certainly appealing, but it’s important to be well-prepared and informed about post-wax care. After all, taking care of your skin and promoting healing is crucial to ensure a smooth, pain-free recovery.
Whether you’re a first-timer or a seasoned veteran, knowing what to put on after a Brazilian wax is essential. In this comprehensive guide, we will discuss the importance of post-wax care, the steps you should follow, and the recommended products to soothe and protect your sensitive skin. We will also share some handy tips to alleviate discomfort and ensure long-lasting results. So, sit back, relax, and get ready to discover the secrets to a successful post-Brazilian wax routine.
Understanding the significance of post-wax care is vital for your overall waxing experience. After a Brazilian wax, your skin is left more sensitive and prone to irritation. This is because the hair follicles are temporarily removed from the root, and your skin is left exposed and vulnerable. By following the right aftercare routine, you can minimize discomfort, prevent infections, and maintain the smoothness for a longer period of time.
Now, let’s dive deeper into the specific steps you should take and the products that will help you achieve the best results after your Brazilian wax.
Importance of Post-Brazilian Wax Care
Post-Brazilian wax care is not only essential for immediate relief and comfort but also for long-term skin health and maintenance. Here are some key reasons why taking care of your skin after a Brazilian wax is crucial:
Minimizes Discomfort: Waxing involves removing hair from the root, which can cause temporary irritation, redness, and discomfort. Proper post-wax care, such as gentle cleansing and application of soothing products, can help alleviate these symptoms and promote faster healing.
Prevents Infections: The removal of hair follicles creates open pores, making the skin susceptible to bacterial infections. By following proper hygiene practices and using antiseptic products, you can reduce the risk of infections and promote a healthy healing process.
Soothes and Hydrates the Skin: Waxing can temporarily disrupt the skin’s natural moisture barrier. It is important to replenish the skin’s hydration levels by using moisturizers and soothing balms specifically formulated for post-wax care. This helps restore the skin’s balance and prevents dryness and flakiness.
Prolongs Smoothness: Post-wax care helps maintain the results of your Brazilian wax for a longer duration. Regular exfoliation and moisturizing keep the skin soft and supple, minimizing the chances of ingrown hairs and promoting smoother regrowth.
Reduces Ingrown Hairs: Ingrown hairs can be a common occurrence after waxing, especially in the bikini area. Gentle exfoliation and using products with exfoliating properties in the post-wax care routine can help prevent and minimize ingrown hairs, keeping your skin smoother and ingrown-free.
Boosts Confidence: Proper post-wax care not only promotes skin health but also boosts your confidence. When your skin feels and looks its best, you’ll have the confidence to rock your favorite swimsuits, lingerie, or any outfit without worrying about unwanted hair or skin issues.
Now that you understand the importance of post-Brazilian wax care, let’s move on to the practical steps you should follow to ensure a smooth and comfortable recovery.
Steps to Follow After Brazilian Wax
After undergoing a Brazilian wax treatment, it’s crucial to follow a series of steps to promote healing and maintain the results. Here are the essential steps you should take for a successful post-wax care routine:
- Cleanse the Area Gently: After your waxing session, gently cleanse the waxed area using a mild, fragrance-free cleanser. Avoid using harsh soaps or scrubbing vigorously, as this can further irritate the skin. Pat the area dry with a clean towel.
- Apply a Soothing Product: To alleviate any discomfort and reduce redness, apply a soothing product specifically designed for post-wax care. Look for ingredients like aloe vera, chamomile, and witch hazel, as they offer calming and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Avoid Heat and Friction: For a few days after your wax, avoid activities that can cause excess friction and heat in the waxed area. This includes hot baths, saunas, steam rooms, and excessive sweating from intense workouts. Heat and friction can worsen irritation and delay the healing process.
- Moisturize Daily: Keep the skin hydrated and prevent dryness by applying a moisturizer suited for sensitive areas. Choose a fragrance-free, non-comedogenic moisturizer to avoid clogging the pores. Regular moisturization helps maintain the skin’s elasticity, prevents flakiness, and promotes a smooth recovery.
- Exfoliate Gently: After a few days, once the redness and irritation have subsided, start incorporating gentle exfoliation into your routine. This helps prevent ingrown hairs by removing dead skin cells and allowing hair to grow out properly. Use an exfoliating scrub or brush specifically designed for sensitive areas, and always follow the instructions for usage.
- Avoid Touching or Picking: It’s crucial to resist the temptation to touch or pick at the waxed area, as this can introduce bacteria and lead to infections. Additionally, picking at ingrown hairs can cause further irritation and scarring. Allow the skin to heal naturally and avoid any unnecessary touching.
- Wear Loose, Breathable Clothing: Opt for loose-fitting, breathable clothing for a few days after your Brazilian wax. Tight clothing can rub against the freshly waxed skin, causing irritation and discomfort. Choose fabrics like cotton that allow air circulation and minimize friction.
- Avoid Sun Exposure: Protect the waxed area from direct sun exposure for at least 24-48 hours. Sunburned skin can be even more sensitive and prone to damage after waxing. If you must be in the sun, use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher and cover the waxed area with clothing.
- Schedule Regular Maintenance: To maintain smooth results, establish a regular waxing schedule. This will help prevent ingrown hairs, maintain hair regrowth, and reduce discomfort with each subsequent waxing session. Consult with your esthetician to determine the best frequency of waxing based on your hair growth pattern.
By following these steps, you can ensure a proper and effective post-wax care routine, promoting skin healing, minimizing discomfort, and prolonging the smoothness of your Brazilian wax results.
Recommended Products for Post-Wax Care
Choosing the right products for your post-wax care routine can significantly enhance your comfort and promote healthier skin. Here are some recommended products to consider:
- Post-Wax Lotion or Gel: Look for a post-wax lotion or gel that contains soothing and healing ingredients like aloe vera, chamomile, and tea tree oil. These ingredients help reduce redness, inflammation, and provide relief to the waxed area.
- Antiseptic Spray or Solution: An antiseptic spray or solution is essential to keep the waxed area free from bacteria, reducing the risk of infections. Choose a product that is specifically formulated for use after waxing and contains natural antiseptic ingredients like witch hazel or lavender oil.
- Moisturizer: Opt for a fragrance-free, gentle moisturizer that is suitable for sensitive skin. Look for ingredients like shea butter, cocoa butter, or jojoba oil, which provide deep hydration without clogging the pores. A moisturizer will help keep the skin supple and prevent dryness after waxing.
- Exfoliating Scrub: An exfoliating scrub designed for sensitive areas can be used a few days after your Brazilian wax to prevent ingrown hairs. Look for a gentle scrub with natural exfoliants like sugar or jojoba beads.
- Ingrown Hair Serum: An ingrown hair serum helps prevent and treat ingrown hairs. Look for products that contain exfoliating ingredients like salicylic acid or glycolic acid to gently remove dead skin cells and allow hair to grow properly.
- Post-Wax Cooling Gel: A cooling gel can provide immediate relief and soothe the waxed area. Look for products that contain menthol or aloe vera for a cooling effect and added hydration.
- Calming Spray: A calming spray can help reduce redness, itching, and inflammation. Look for products that contain natural ingredients like chamomile or lavender, known for their soothing properties.
- Hygienic Wipes: For on-the-go freshness and hygiene, consider using hygienic wipes specifically designed for post-wax use. These wipes help keep the waxed area clean and prevent infections.
- SPF Lip Balm: Don’t forget to protect your lips if you’ve had a Brazilian wax in that area. Opt for an SPF lip balm to shield against sun damage and keep your lips moisturized.
When selecting products, it’s crucial to choose those specifically designed for post-wax care and suited for sensitive skin. It’s also a good idea to consult with your esthetician or dermatologist for personalized recommendations based on your skin type and any specific concerns you may have.
Now that you know which products are ideal for your post-Brazilian wax care routine, let’s move on to some useful tips to soothe any discomfort you may experience.
Tips for Soothing Discomfort
Experiencing some discomfort after a Brazilian wax is not uncommon, but there are several tips and tricks you can utilize to alleviate any discomfort and promote a more pleasant recovery. Here are some effective tips for soothing post-wax discomfort:
- Apply Cold Compresses: Use a cold compress or a clean washcloth soaked in cold water to gently cool and soothe the waxed area. The cold temperature helps reduce inflammation and provides instant relief.
- Avoid Hot Baths and Showers: Hot water can irritate the freshly waxed skin and worsen any discomfort. Opt for lukewarm water while bathing or showering, and keep the water temperature mild to avoid additional irritation.
- Wear Loose-Fitting Clothing: Tight clothing can rub against the waxed area, causing friction and discomfort. Choose loose-fitting, breathable clothing made of natural fabrics like cotton to allow airflow and minimize irritation.
- Take Over-the-Counter Pain Relievers: If you experience significant discomfort or pain, you may consider taking over-the-counter pain relievers like ibuprofen or acetaminophen. However, always consult a healthcare professional before taking any medication.
- Avoid Sun Exposure: Direct sun exposure can further irritate the waxed area. Protect your skin by avoiding sun exposure for at least 24-48 hours after your Brazilian wax. If you must be in the sun, use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher and cover the waxed area with clothing.
- Avoid Touching or Scratching: It’s important to resist the urge to touch, scratch, or pick at the waxed area, as this can introduce bacteria and delay the healing process. Keep your hands away from the area and let it heal naturally.
- Hydrate and Stay Hygienic: Drink plenty of water to keep your body hydrated, which promotes overall skin health. Additionally, maintain good hygiene by regularly washing your hands and using clean towels when drying the waxed area.
- For Extra Relief, Try Aloe Vera or Coconut Oil: Applying natural soothing agents like aloe vera gel or coconut oil to the waxed area can provide additional relief. These substances have anti-inflammatory properties and can help calm the skin.
- Book a Follow-up Appointment: To maintain the smoothness and long-lasting effects of your Brazilian wax, schedule a follow-up appointment with your esthetician. Regular waxing will help reduce discomfort and boost the overall effectiveness of each session.
Remember, everyone’s pain tolerance and recovery process vary. If you have any concerns or experience severe discomfort after a Brazilian wax, it’s always best to consult with your esthetician or a healthcare professional for personalized recommendations and advice.
Now that you’re equipped with soothing tips, let’s explore which activities and practices to avoid after a Brazilian wax to ensure a successful recovery.
Avoiding Certain Activities After Brazilian Wax
After a Brazilian wax, it’s important to be mindful of your activities to prevent any additional irritation or discomfort. Here are some activities and practices to avoid during the healing process:
- Avoid Excessive Heat: Heat can exacerbate irritation and inflammation, so steer clear of activities that generate excessive heat in the waxed area. This includes hot baths, saunas, steam rooms, and intense workouts that cause excessive sweating. Stick to cool or lukewarm environments to allow your skin to recover effectively.
- Avoid Deodorants or Antiperspirants: Refrain from applying deodorants or antiperspirants to the freshly waxed area for at least 24 hours. These products contain chemicals that can further irritate the skin or clog the open pores.
- Avoid Exfoliation for the First Few Days: While exfoliation is beneficial for preventing ingrown hairs, it’s best to avoid any form of exfoliation, including scrubs or brushes, for the first few days after a Brazilian wax. Give your skin time to heal and reduce sensitivity before reintroducing exfoliation into your routine.
- Avoid Swimming in Pools or Hot Tubs: Chlorine and chemicals present in swimming pools and hot tubs can irritate the freshly waxed skin. To prevent further discomfort and potential infections, refrain from swimming for at least 24-48 hours after your waxing session.
- Avoid Intimate Activities: To minimize friction and reduce the risk of infection, it’s advisable to abstain from sexual activities for at least 24-48 hours after a Brazilian wax. This allows your skin to heal and reduces the risk of introducing bacteria to the sensitive waxed area.
- Avoid Tight Clothing: Wearing tight clothing, especially underwear or pants that rub against the waxed area, can cause additional irritation and discomfort. Opt for loose-fitting clothing made of breathable fabrics to allow airflow and minimize friction.
- Avoid Harsh Chemicals: Avoid using harsh chemicals, perfumes, or scented lotions in the waxed area during the healing process. Stick to gentle, fragrance-free products specifically designed for post-wax care to prevent further irritation.
- Avoid Tanning Beds: Tanning beds can further irritate the skin after a Brazilian wax. UV radiation can increase sensitivity and prolong the healing process. It’s best to avoid tanning beds for at least 48 hours to allow your skin to recover properly.
- Avoid Touching the Area: As tempting as it might be, refrain from touching or scratching the waxed area as this can introduce bacteria and delay the healing process. Let your skin heal naturally and avoid any unnecessary touching.
By avoiding these activities and practices, you can ensure a smoother, more comfortable recovery after your Brazilian wax. Now let’s explore how you can maintain the long-term results of your waxing sessions.
Maintaining Long-Term Waxing Results
After investing time and effort into a Brazilian wax, it’s natural to want to maintain the results for as long as possible. Here are some tips to help you maintain long-term waxing results:
- Maintain a Regular Waxing Schedule: Consistency is key when it comes to maintaining long-term results. Schedule regular waxing appointments based on your hair growth cycle and consult with your esthetician to determine the appropriate frequency.
- Avoid Shaving Between Waxing Sessions: Resist the temptation to shave between waxing sessions. Shaving disrupts the hair growth cycle and can lead to uneven regrowth. Instead, be patient and allow the hair to grow out before your next waxing appointment.
- Exfoliate Regularly: Regular exfoliation is crucial for preventing and treating ingrown hairs. Gently exfoliate the waxed area two to three times a week using a mild exfoliating scrub or brush. This helps remove dead skin cells, allowing hair to grow freely and reducing the likelihood of ingrown hairs.
- Moisturize Daily: Keeping the skin moisturized is essential for maintaining the smoothness and softness of your Brazilian wax. Apply a fragrance-free, non-comedogenic moisturizer daily to keep the skin hydrated and prevent dryness.
- Avoid Tight Clothing: Opt for loose-fitting clothing, especially underwear, to reduce friction and irritation on the waxed area. Tight clothing can trap sweat and bacteria, leading to discomfort and potential infections.
- Protect Your Skin from Sun Damage: Excessive sun exposure can cause skin damage and increase sensitivity in the waxed area. Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher to protect your skin from harmful UV rays. Additionally, cover the waxed area with clothing whenever possible.
- Maintain Good Hygiene: Practicing good hygiene is crucial to maintain long-term waxing results. Regularly clean the waxed area with a mild, pH-balanced cleanser and avoid using harsh soaps or scrubs that can disrupt the skin’s natural balance.
- Avoid Retinoids and AHA/BHA Products: Retinoids and alpha/beta hydroxy acids (AHA/BHA) can increase skin sensitivity and make it more susceptible to irritation and peeling. Avoid using these products on the waxed area for a few days before and after your waxing session.
- Visit a Professional Esthetician: For the best results and to ensure proper technique and hygiene, visit a professional esthetician for your Brazilian waxing. They have the expertise to provide a thorough and effective waxing experience while minimizing discomfort and reducing the risk of complications.
By following these maintenance tips, you can enjoy long-lasting smoothness and maximize the benefits of your Brazilian waxing sessions. Remember, everyone’s hair growth patterns and skin sensitivity are unique, so it’s important to find a routine that works best for you. Now, armed with this knowledge, go ahead and enjoy the long-term results of your Brazilian wax!
Congratulations! You’ve made it through our comprehensive guide on post-Brazilian wax care. By following the steps outlined in this article and incorporating the recommended products and tips, you can ensure a smooth, comfortable recovery and maintain long-term waxing results.
Remember, post-wax care is crucial to promote healing, minimize discomfort, and prevent complications. Cleansing the area gently, applying soothing products, and avoiding certain activities can all contribute to a successful recovery. Additionally, using recommended products specifically designed for post-wax care and following proper hygiene practices will help you maintain healthy, hair-free skin.
Whether you’re a first-timer or a seasoned waxing enthusiast, it’s important to customize your post-wax care routine to suit your unique needs. Pay attention to your skin’s response and make adjustments as necessary, consulting with your esthetician or dermatologist for personalized advice.
By incorporating regular waxing sessions, gentle exfoliation, and moisturization into your skincare routine, you can enjoy prolonged smoothness, prevent ingrown hairs, and boost your confidence. Remember to protect your skin from sun damage and maintain good hygiene to preserve the results of your Brazilian wax.
Now that you’re armed with the knowledge and understanding of post-Brazilian wax care, go ahead and confidently book your next waxing session. Embrace the feeling of smooth, hair-free skin and enjoy the freedom it brings. Happy waxing!