How To Wear A Bodysuit American Apparel
Modified: September 23, 2023
Discover how to effortlessly style a bodysuit from American Apparel for women. Find tips, tricks, and outfit inspiration to rock this versatile wardrobe essential.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Under-tec.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Table of Contents
Welcome to the world of bodysuits! These versatile, form-fitting garments have become a popular choice for women across the globe. Whether you’re looking for a trendy outfit or a comfortable yet stylish option, a bodysuit is the perfect choice.
Bodysuits are not only fashionable but also practical, as they eliminate the need for tucking in your shirt throughout the day. They provide a seamless look, hugging your curves in all the right places. From casual to dressy, bodysuits can easily be dressed up or down to suit any occasion.
In this article, we will guide you on how to wear a bodysuit from American Apparel to help you make a statement with your outfit. With our tips and suggestions, you’ll learn how to select the right bodysuit for your body type, style it with various accessories, and even layer it with other garments to create unique looks. Are you ready to elevate your fashion game with a bodysuit? Let’s dive in!
Before we delve into the styling tips and tricks, let’s first understand what a bodysuit is. In simple terms, a bodysuit is a one-piece garment that covers the torso, similar to a swimsuit or leotard. However, unlike swimsuits or leotards, bodysuits are designed for everyday wear and come in a variety of styles, fabrics, and necklines to suit different tastes and occasions.
One of the key features of a bodysuit is its snap closure at the crotch, which allows for easy wear and removal. This closure ensures that the bodysuit stays securely in place and prevents it from riding up or bunching. Bodysuits are typically made from stretchy materials like cotton, spandex, or a blend of both, providing a comfortable and figure-hugging fit.
The rise of bodysuits as a fashion staple can be attributed to their versatility. They can be paired with various bottoms, such as jeans, skirts, or shorts, to create different looks. Whether you’re going for a casual-chic vibe or a sophisticated evening ensemble, there’s a bodysuit out there for every style and occasion.
Another factor that makes bodysuits so popular is their ability to enhance and flatter different body types. They create a sleek silhouette and accentuate the curves, making you feel confident and sexy. Whether you have a pear-shaped, hourglass, or athletic figure, there’s a bodysuit that will complement your body shape.
So, now that you have a better understanding of what a bodysuit is and its unique features, let’s move on to the next section where we will discuss how to choose the right bodysuit for your body type.
Choosing the Right Bodysuit for Your Body Type
When it comes to choosing a bodysuit, it’s important to consider your body type to find one that flatters your figure and highlights your best features. Here are some tips to help you select the perfect bodysuit:
- Hourglass: If you have an hourglass figure with a well-defined waist, opt for a bodysuit with a v-neckline to showcase your curves. Look for styles that cinch at the waist or have a wrap-front design to further accentuate your hourglass shape.
- Pear-shaped: Pear-shaped bodies have narrower shoulders and wider hips. To balance your proportions, choose a bodysuit with detailing or patterns on the upper half to draw attention to your upper body. A halter or off-the-shoulder style can also help create the illusion of broader shoulders.
- Apple-shaped: Apple-shaped bodies carry weight around the midsection. Opt for bodysuits with a deep v-neckline or scoop neck to elongate your upper body and create a more balanced appearance. Look for styles that have ruching or draping around the waist area to camouflage any concerns.
- Athletic: Athletic bodies have well-defined muscles and a straighter shape. Choose bodysuits that add curves and femininity to your silhouette. Look for styles with cut-outs, lace details, or ruffles to create the illusion of curves. Off-the-shoulder or one-shoulder styles can also soften your upper body.
- Petite: If you have a petite frame, opt for bodysuits with higher leg cuts to visually elongate your legs. Choose styles with vertical stripes or patterns to create the illusion of height. Avoid styles that are too loose or baggy, as they may overwhelm your figure.
Remember, these are just general guidelines, and the most important thing is to feel comfortable and confident in your chosen bodysuit. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different styles and see what works best for you.
Now that you have a better idea of how to choose a bodysuit that suits your body type, let’s move on to the next section where we will explore various styling tips for wearing a bodysuit.
Styling Tips for Wearing a Bodysuit
Now that you have found the perfect bodysuit that flatters your body type, let’s dive into some styling tips to help you create fashionable and chic outfits:
- Pair with High-Waisted Bottoms: Bodysuits look great when paired with high-waisted jeans, skirts, or shorts. This combination not only accentuates your waist but also creates a balanced and stylish look. Opt for different styles of bottoms, such as wide-leg pants or a denim skirt, to add variety to your outfits.
- Layer with Jackets or Blazers: For a more polished look, layer your bodysuit with a structured blazer or a trendy jacket. This adds dimension and sophistication to your outfit, making it suitable for both office and evening wear. Experiment with different lengths and textures to create unique combinations.
- Tuck into Bottoms: If you prefer a more casual look, tuck your bodysuit into a pair of jeans or a skirt. This creates a clean and streamlined appearance while ensuring that your outfit stays in place throughout the day. You can opt for a full tuck or a partial tuck, depending on your personal style and the occasion.
- Experiment with Necklines: Bodysuits come in various neckline options, such as scoop neck, halter, off-the-shoulder, or high neck. Experiment with different necklines to change up your look and highlight different features. For example, a halter neckline can draw attention to your shoulders and collarbone, while an off-the-shoulder style can create a feminine and romantic look.
- Accessorize with Belts: Add some flair to your bodysuit by accessorizing it with a stylish belt. This not only accentuates your waist but also adds a touch of personal style to your outfit. Play around with different belt styles, such as wide statement belts or delicate skinny belts, depending on the overall look you want to achieve.
Remember, these styling tips are just a starting point. Feel free to mix and match different pieces from your wardrobe to create your own unique and personalized outfits. The key is to have fun and experiment with different styles and combinations.
Next, we will explore how to further elevate your bodysuit outfit with the right accessories.
Accessorizing Your Bodysuit
No outfit is complete without the right accessories, and the same goes for your bodysuit ensemble. Here are some tips on how to accessorize your bodysuit and add that extra touch of style:
- Statement Jewelry: Enhance your outfit by adding statement jewelry pieces. A bold necklace, chandelier earrings, or a stack of bracelets can instantly elevate your look. Opt for pieces that complement the color and style of your bodysuit to create a cohesive and eye-catching ensemble.
- Belts: We mentioned belts earlier as a styling tip, but they also double up as accessories. Choose a belt that matches the color scheme of your outfit and cinch it at your waist to create definition and add visual interest.
- Scarves and Shawls: Scarves and shawls are versatile accessories that can be draped around your neck or shoulders to add texture and color to your bodysuit look. Choose lightweight scarves for a casual daytime outfit and opt for more luxurious materials like silk or cashmere for an evening ensemble.
- Hats: Hats are not only functional but also stylish accessories. Depending on the occasion and your personal style, opt for a straw hat for a day at the beach, a chic fedora for a city stroll, or a wide-brimmed hat for a more elegant and glamorous look.
- Bags: Choose a bag that complements your bodysuit outfit. Opt for a clutch or a crossbody bag for an evening look, a tote or a backpack for a casual daytime outfit, or a structured handbag for a more polished and sophisticated ensemble.
Remember to strike a balance when accessorizing. If your bodysuit is already embellished or has bold patterns, opt for more minimalistic accessories to let the bodysuit take center stage. On the other hand, if your bodysuit is plain or neutral-toned, feel free to play with statement accessories to add that extra pop of style.
Now that you know how to accessorize your bodysuit, let’s move on to the next section where we will explore different ways to layer with a bodysuit to create more versatile outfits.
Layering with a Bodysuit
One of the many advantages of wearing a bodysuit is its versatility when it comes to layering. Layering with a bodysuit allows you to create unique and stylish outfits that can be adapted to different seasons and occasions. Here are some ideas on how to layer your bodysuit:
- Cardigans and Sweaters: During cooler months, layer your bodysuit with cardigans or sweaters for added warmth and style. Opt for chunky knit cardigans or oversized sweaters for a cozy and relaxed look. You can leave the cardigan or sweater open to showcase the bodysuit, or button it up for a more polished appearance.
- Blazers and Jackets: Adding a blazer or jacket to your bodysuit instantly elevates the look, making it suitable for work or evening events. Choose a tailored blazer for a sophisticated and professional look, or opt for a leather jacket for an edgier vibe. Play with different lengths and textures to create visually interesting combinations.
- Button-Up Shirts: For a chic and preppy look, layer your bodysuit with a button-up shirt. Leave the buttons open to create a layered effect and a peek-a-boo detail. You can also tie the bottom of the shirt to accentuate your waist and add a touch of style.
- Denim Jackets: A classic denim jacket is a versatile layering piece that goes well with bodysuits. It adds a casual and effortless vibe to your outfit. Pair your bodysuit with a denim jacket for a stylish and laid-back look that’s perfect for weekend outings or casual gatherings.
- Turtleneck Sweaters: For a cozy and sophisticated look, layer your Bodysuit with a turtleneck sweater. This combination is perfect for colder months and adds a touch of elegance to your outfit. Opt for a fitted or ribbed turtleneck to create a streamlined and polished look.
Experiment with different layering techniques and mix and match different garments to create your own unique style. Don’t be afraid to play with colors, textures, and lengths to create visually dynamic and fashionable combinations.
Now that you have learned about layering with a bodysuit, let’s move on to the next section where we will discuss some dos and don’ts of wearing a bodysuit to help you avoid any fashion mishaps.
Dos and Don’ts of Wearing a Bodysuit
While bodysuits are incredibly versatile and stylish, there are a few dos and don’ts to keep in mind to ensure you rock your bodysuit with confidence and style. Here are some tips to consider:
- Choose the Right Fit: Make sure your bodysuit fits you well and is comfortable to wear. Avoid styles that are too tight or too loose, as they may not flatter your body shape.
- Experiment with Different Styles: Don’t be afraid to try different styles of bodysuits to find the ones that suit your personal style and body type.
- Accessorize Thoughtfully: Use accessories strategically to enhance your bodysuit outfit. Choose accessories that complement the style and color of your bodysuit and create a cohesive look.
- Layer with Confidence: Play around with layering techniques to create unique and fashionable outfits. Experiment with different types of jackets, blazers, and sweaters to create different looks.
- Wear Seamless Undergarments: To maintain a smooth and seamless look, opt for seamless undergarments or nude-colored undergarments that won’t show through your bodysuit.
- Wear a Saggy Bodysuit: Avoid wearing a bodysuit that is saggy or stretched out. It can give a sloppy appearance and detract from your overall look.
- Neglect the Snap Closure: Ensure that the snap closure at the crotch is securely fastened to prevent any discomfort or accidental exposure.
- Forget to Check for Visible Lines: Before heading out, double-check for any visible panty or bra lines that could detract from the seamless look of your bodysuit.
- Overdo It with Accessories: While accessories can enhance your bodysuit outfit, be mindful not to go overboard. Choose a few key pieces to avoid overwhelming the look.
- Overcomplicate Your Layers: While layering can be fun, be cautious not to add too many layers or overly bulky garments that may make you look bulky or feel uncomfortable.
By keeping these dos and don’ts in mind, you’ll be able to confidently wear your bodysuit and create fashionable and stylish outfits for any occasion.
Now that we have covered the dos and don’ts, let’s conclude our article and recap what we have learned about wearing bodysuits.
Congratulations! You are now equipped with the knowledge and tips to confidently wear and style a bodysuit from American Apparel. Bodysuits are not only fashionable but also practical, offering a sleek and seamless look that can be dressed up or down for any occasion.
Remember to choose a bodysuit that flatters your body type and accentuates your best features. Experiment with different styles, necklines, and fabrics to find the ones that suit your personal style. And don’t shy away from accessorizing your bodysuit with statement jewelry, belts, scarves, or hats to add an extra touch of flair and personality.
Layering with a bodysuit allows you to create versatile and stylish outfits. Play around with different jackets, blazers, sweaters, and button-up shirts to create unique combinations that suit your style and the season.
Lastly, keep in mind the dos and don’ts of wearing a bodysuit. Choose a well-fitting bodysuit, wear seamless undergarments, and accessorize thoughtfully to enhance your overall look. Avoid saggy bodysuits, visible lines, and overcomplicating your layers to maintain a polished and stylish appearance.
Now, go ahead and embrace the world of bodysuits with confidence and creativity. From casual outings to special occasions, let your bodysuit be a fashion statement that reflects your unique style and personality.