Where To Buy Kimono Tops
Modified: August 5, 2023
Looking for stylish kimono tops for women? Discover the best places to buy trendy and affordable kimono tops that will elevate your fashion game.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Under-tec.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Table of Contents
Welcome to the world of kimono tops! These versatile and stylish garments have a rich history and have become a popular choice for women looking to express their individuality and embrace a touch of Eastern elegance. Whether you’re looking for a traditional kimono top or a more modern and trendy variation, there are countless options available to suit every taste and occasion.
Kimono tops originated in Japan and were traditionally worn as a formal attire. However, they have evolved over time and are now considered a fashion statement, both in Japan and around the world. With their flowing sleeves, intricate patterns, and luxurious fabrics, kimono tops exude femininity and grace.
Today, kimono tops come in a wide variety of styles, ranging from traditional designs that pay homage to Japan’s rich cultural heritage to contemporary reinterpretations that incorporate modern elements. Whether you prefer a simple and understated look or a bold and vibrant statement piece, there is a kimono top out there to suit your personal style.
Not only are kimono tops incredibly fashionable, but they are also incredibly versatile. They can be paired with a range of bottoms, from jeans and shorts for a casual look to pencil skirts and tailored pants for a more formal ensemble. They can be worn as a lightweight layering piece or as a statement-making standalone garment.
If you’re ready to explore the world of kimono tops and add a touch of elegance and uniqueness to your wardrobe, this article will guide you on where to find the perfect kimono top for you. Whether you prefer to shop online or browse physical stores, we’ll provide you with the best places to discover and purchase your new favorite kimono top.
History of Kimono Tops
The history of kimono tops dates back centuries to ancient Japan. The term “kimono” translates to “thing to wear,” and it refers to a traditional Japanese garment that is characterized by its T-shaped silhouette and wide, flowing sleeves.
Originally, kimono tops were worn by both men and women and served as a symbol of social status. The style, fabric, and colors of the kimono indicated the wearer’s age, rank, and marital status. Elaborate designs and luxurious materials were reserved for the upper class, while simpler styles were worn by the common people.
Throughout Japan’s history, various types of kimono tops emerged, each with its own unique characteristics and purposes. The furisode kimono, for example, is a ceremonial garment worn by unmarried women. It features long, swinging sleeves and intricate patterns. On the other hand, the yukata is a lightweight casual kimono typically worn during the summer or at festivals.
The aesthetics of kimono tops are heavily influenced by nature, and you’ll often find them adorned with floral patterns or images of birds, landscapes, or traditional motifs. The process of creating a kimono involves painstaking craftsmanship, including dyeing, weaving, and embroidery techniques that have been passed down through generations.
With the influence of Western fashion in the late 19th century, the popularity of kimono tops declined in Japan. Western-style clothing became the norm, but the kimono never completely disappeared. In recent years, there has been a resurgence of interest in traditional Japanese clothing, resulting in a renewed appreciation for kimono tops.
Today, kimono tops have transcended cultural boundaries and are embraced by fashion enthusiasts worldwide. While still deeply rooted in Japanese culture, kimono tops have been reimagined and modernized to suit contemporary tastes. They have become a fashion statement and can be found in various styles, lengths, and fabrics.
Kimono tops not only reflect the history and heritage of Japan but also serve as a testament to the timeless appeal of their design. Their graceful silhouette and attention to detail make them a favorite choice for those who appreciate the beauty of traditional craftsmanship blended with contemporary fashion trends.
Types of Kimono Tops
Kimono tops come in a plethora of styles, each with its own unique design and purpose. From traditional silhouettes to modern variations, here are some of the most popular types of kimono tops:
- Furisode: This is a highly formal kimono top typically worn by unmarried women on special occasions such as weddings and tea ceremonies. It features vibrant colors and long, swinging sleeves, making it a striking and elegant choice.
- Komon: Komon kimono tops are more casual and suitable for everyday wear. They usually have small, repeated patterns all over the fabric, giving them a subtle and chic appearance. Komon kimono tops are versatile and can be paired with various bottoms to create different looks.
- Hikizuri: Hikizuri kimono tops are characterized by their floor-length hems and trailing sleeves. They are often worn by geishas and performers during traditional Japanese dances and theater productions. Hikizuri kimono tops are exquisite and elaborate, with intricate designs and luxurious fabrics.
- Yukata: Yukata kimono tops are lightweight and commonly worn during summer festivals or as loungewear. They are made of cotton or linen fabric and feature simpler designs compared to other kimono types. Yukata kimono tops are comfortable and easy to wear, making them a popular choice for casual occasions.
- Tomesode: Tomesode kimono tops are typically worn by married women on formal occasions. They feature elegant and understated designs, often with a single colorful pattern at the hem and sleeve areas. Tomesode kimono tops are considered to be a symbol of maturity and sophistication.
- Haori: Haori kimono tops are a short jacket-like version of the traditional kimono. They are perfect for layering and adding a touch of sophistication to any outfit. Haori kimono tops can be worn casually or dressed up for a more formal occasion.
These are just a few examples of the wide range of kimono tops available. Whether you prefer a formal, elaborate design or a casual and understated style, there is a kimono top out there to suit your taste and occasion.
Traditional Kimono Tops
Traditional kimono tops hold a special place in Japanese culture and are deeply rooted in centuries-old customs and traditions. These timeless garments are renowned for their exquisite craftsmanship, intricate designs, and luxurious fabrics. Let’s explore some of the key features of traditional kimono tops:
- Silhouette: Traditional kimono tops have a distinct T-shaped silhouette, characterized by straight, rectangular panels that wrap around the body. The length of the kimono can vary, with longer versions being more formal and shorter ones suitable for everyday wear.
- Fabrics: Traditional kimono tops are crafted from high-quality silk, giving them a luxurious and elegant appearance. Silk is known for its softness, sheen, and ability to drape gracefully, making it the ideal choice for creating the flowing and fluid lines of a kimono.
- Obi: The obi is a wide belt that is tied around the waist to secure the kimono. It is an integral part of traditional kimono attire and adds a touch of sophistication to the overall look. Obis come in various widths, styles, and patterns, and they can be tied in different ways to create unique and eye-catching designs.
- Patterns: Traditional kimono tops feature a wide array of intricate patterns and motifs, often inspired by nature, mythology, and Japanese art. Popular patterns include floral designs, birds, landscapes, and traditional symbols like cranes and cherry blossoms. These patterns are often dyed or woven into the fabric, showcasing the meticulous craftsmanship of the kimono.
- Accessories: Completing the traditional kimono ensemble are various accessories, such as tabi socks, zori sandals, and ornamental hairpieces. These accessories are carefully chosen to complement the kimono and enhance its overall aesthetic. Kimono enthusiasts also enjoy adorning their attire with delicate fans or elegant handbags, adding an extra touch of charm.
Traditional kimono tops are not merely clothing; they are a visual representation of Japanese culture, history, and artistry. Each kimono is a work of art, meticulously crafted by skilled artisans using time-honored techniques. Wearing a traditional kimono top is like wrapping yourself in a piece of living history, connecting you to the rich traditions and heritage of Japan.
While traditional kimono tops are still worn for ceremonial occasions, they have also made their way into modern fashion. Many designers are creating contemporary interpretations of traditional kimono tops, infusing them with new colors, fabrics, and patterns to appeal to a wider audience while still honoring the essence of these timeless garments.
Modern Kimono Tops
In recent years, modern kimono tops have gained popularity as fashion-forward and statement-making garments. These contemporary interpretations of the traditional kimono embrace new design elements, materials, and styles while still maintaining the essence of the classic silhouette. Let’s delve into the key characteristics of modern kimono tops:
- Contemporary Silhouettes: Modern kimono tops come in a variety of silhouettes, ranging from fitted and tailored designs to loose and oversized styles. Some modern kimono tops even incorporate asymmetrical or wrap-style elements, adding a touch of modernity and uniqueness to the overall look.
- Experimental Fabrics: While silk is still a popular choice for kimono tops, modern interpretations often introduce alternative fabrics like cotton, linen, or synthetic blends. These fabrics provide a wider range of textures, colors, and patterns, making the kimono tops more versatile and suitable for different seasons and occasions.
- Edgy Patterns and Prints: Modern kimono tops embrace a more daring and bold approach when it comes to patterns and prints. Geometric designs, abstract motifs, and even pop culture-inspired graphics can be found on modern kimono tops, appealing to those who seek a contemporary and avant-garde look.
- Hybrid Styles: With the merging of global fashion influences, modern kimono tops often incorporate elements from other cultures or garments. For example, kimono-inspired dresses, kimono cardigans, or kimono-inspired blouses are common variations that blend traditional Japanese aesthetics with contemporary Western fashion trends.
- Versatility: Modern kimono tops are designed to be more adaptable and versatile, suitable for a range of occasions. They can be styled with jeans or shorts for a casual and chic look, or paired with tailored pants or skirts for a more formal ensemble. The ability to mix and match with different clothing items makes modern kimono tops a versatile choice in any wardrobe.
Modern kimono tops are a fusion of traditional elegance and contemporary fashion sensibilities. They provide a fresh and innovative take on the classic silhouette, allowing individuals to express their personal style in a unique way. Whether you are a fashion trendsetter or someone who appreciates the blend of modern and traditional elements, modern kimono tops offer a perfect balance of timeless charm and modern sophistication.
With their versatility, comfort, and eye-catching designs, modern kimono tops have become a beloved choice for women who want to make a fashion statement while embracing the essence of a garment steeped in history and cultural significance.
How to Style Kimono Tops
Kimono tops offer endless possibilities when it comes to styling. Their versatility allows you to create various looks, from casual and laid-back to sophisticated and elegant. Here are some tips on how to style kimono tops:
- Jeans and Kimono: For a chic and effortless look, pair your kimono top with a pair of jeans. Opt for fitted or straight-leg jeans to balance the loose and flowy silhouette of the kimono top. Add some statement accessories and a pair of sandals or heels to complete the ensemble.
- Over a Dress: Layering your kimono top over a dress adds a touch of bohemian flair to your outfit. Choose a sleeveless or short-sleeved dress that complements the colors or patterns in your kimono. The kimono top acts as a stylish outer layer, transforming your dress into a completely different look.
- With a Belt: To define your waist and create a more streamlined silhouette, cinch your kimono top at the waist with a belt. This adds structure to the look and enhances your figure while still allowing the kimono top to be the focal point of the outfit.
- As a Beach Cover-Up: Kimono tops make for fashionable and lightweight beach cover-ups. Layer it over your swimsuit and pair it with shorts or a flowy skirt. The loose and airy nature of the kimono top provides a comfortable and stylish option for soaking up the sun.
- With Tailored Pants: For a more polished and sophisticated look, style your kimono top with tailored pants. Opt for high-waisted trousers or wide-leg pants to create a contrast with the relaxed fit of the kimono top. Finish off with heels or loafers for a chic and business-ready ensemble.
- Boho-inspired Look: Embrace the bohemian vibe by pairing your kimono top with a maxi skirt or wide-leg pants. Look for flowy and lightweight materials that complement the relaxed silhouette of the kimono. Add some layered necklaces, oversized sunglasses, and sandals to complete the boho-inspired look.
Remember, the key to styling kimono tops is to balance the loose and flowy nature of the garment with more fitted or structured pieces. Experiment with different combinations and accessories to create your own unique style. Whether you’re going for a casual daytime look or dressing up for a special occasion, kimono tops offer endless possibilities to express your personal style and make a fashion statement.
Where to Purchase Kimono Tops Online
When it comes to purchasing kimono tops online, there are numerous options available that offer a wide selection of styles, sizes, and price ranges. Here are some popular online retailers where you can find a beautiful kimono top that suits your taste:
- Etsy: Known for its handmade and unique products, Etsy is a great platform to find one-of-a-kind kimono tops. Many independent sellers offer a variety of styles, from traditional to modern, allowing you to support small businesses and find a kimono top that stands out.
- Amazon: As one of the largest online marketplaces, Amazon offers an extensive selection of kimono tops for all budgets. You can find a range of styles, colors, and materials, along with customer reviews to help you make an informed decision.
- ASOS: ASOS is a popular online fashion retailer that offers a wide range of clothing, including kimono tops. They have a variety of styles, from casual to formal, and cater to various sizes and body types. They also provide detailed product descriptions and customer reviews to assist you in finding the perfect fit.
- Farfetch: If you’re looking for high-end and designer kimono tops, Farfetch is the go-to destination. They curate a selection of luxury fashion pieces from boutiques around the world, giving you access to unique and exclusive kimono tops that are sure to make a statement.
- ZARA: ZARA is a well-known fashion retailer that offers trendy and contemporary clothing, including kimono tops. They have a range of styles that cater to different preferences, making it a great option for those looking for modern and fashionable kimono tops.
- Forever 21: If you’re looking for affordable kimono tops without compromising on style, Forever 21 is a great choice. They offer a variety of trendy and budget-friendly options, making it an accessible option for adding a kimono top to your wardrobe.
When purchasing kimono tops online, it’s important to carefully review the product descriptions, size charts, and customer reviews to ensure you’re making the right choice. Additionally, don’t forget to check the return policies and shipping options to ensure a smooth shopping experience.
These online retailers provide a convenient and accessible way to explore and purchase kimono tops. With their vast range of styles and price ranges, you’re sure to find the perfect kimono top that reflects your personal style and adds a touch of elegance to your wardrobe.
Where to Buy Kimono Tops in Physical Stores
If you prefer a more hands-on shopping experience, there are several options for purchasing kimono tops in physical stores. Here are some places where you can find a beautiful kimono top:
- Department Stores: Many department stores have a dedicated section for traditional or ethnic clothing. These sections often have a selection of kimono tops for both formal and casual occasions. Look for department stores that specialize in international fashion or have a specific section dedicated to Japanese culture.
- Boutiques and Specialty Stores: Local boutiques and specialty stores that focus on Asian fashion or traditional clothing are great places to find unique kimono tops. These smaller stores often offer a curated selection of high-quality kimono tops that you may not find anywhere else.
- Vintage and Thrift Stores: Vintage and thrift stores can be treasure troves for finding unique and one-of-a-kind kimono tops. Since kimono tops were traditionally worn for formal occasions, you may come across vintage pieces that are in excellent condition. Thrift stores also frequently have a section for ethnic or cultural clothing, where you may find kimono tops at affordable prices.
- Cultural Festivals and Events: Cultural festivals and events that celebrate Japanese or Asian culture often include vendors selling traditional clothing, including kimono tops. These events provide an opportunity to not only purchase a kimono top but also learn about the culture and try on different styles with the help of knowledgeable vendors or experts.
- Travel to Japan: If you have the opportunity to travel to Japan, visiting local markets, flea markets, or department stores in cities like Tokyo or Kyoto will give you a wide selection of authentic kimono tops. Japan is renowned for its kimono culture, and exploring the local stores will expose you to the variety of styles and designs available.
When shopping for kimono tops in physical stores, it’s beneficial to have an idea of the style, pattern, or fabric you’re interested in. This will make your search more focused and help you find a kimono top that suits your preferences and fits your budget.
Visiting physical stores provides an opportunity to try on different kimono tops, assess the quality of the fabric and craftsmanship, and receive personalized recommendations and advice from store staff. It also allows you to fully immerse yourself in the cultural experience of purchasing a kimono top and appreciate the intricate details up close.
With these options for purchasing kimono tops in physical stores, you can enjoy a tactile and immersive shopping experience while exploring the various styles and designs available.
Tips for Buying Kimono Tops
When buying kimono tops, whether online or in physical stores, it’s important to keep a few key tips in mind to ensure you find the perfect one that fits your style and preferences. Here are some helpful tips to consider when purchasing a kimono top:
- Know your Measurements: Take accurate measurements of your bust, waist, and hips before purchasing a kimono top. Refer to the size charts provided by the retailer to find the right size for you. Keep in mind that kimono tops are typically loose-fitting, so consider the fit and silhouette that you prefer.
- Determine the Occasion: Consider the occasion or purpose for which you’re buying the kimono top. Are you looking for a formal kimono top for a special event or a casual one for everyday wear? Knowing the occasion will help you choose the right style, fabric, and design that suits your needs.
- Inspect the Quality: Check the quality of the fabric, stitching, and overall construction of the kimono top. Look for neat stitching, secure hems, and durable materials. Pay attention to the details, such as the intricacy of the pattern or the workmanship of any embellishments.
- Consider the Fabric: Decide on the type of fabric you prefer based on the season and your personal comfort. Silk is often associated with traditional kimono tops, but there are other options like cotton, linen, or synthetic blends that offer different textures and breathability.
- Explore Different Styles: Kimono tops come in various styles, from traditional to modern interpretations. Explore different styles to determine which one resonates with your personal taste. Consider the length, sleeve type, and any additional embellishments or details that appeal to you.
- Read Customer Reviews: Whether shopping online or in physical stores, take the time to read customer reviews and feedback. This can provide valuable insights into the fit, quality, and overall satisfaction of other customers who have purchased the kimono top you’re considering.
- Shop from Reputable Retailers: Purchase from reputable retailers with good customer feedback and return policies. This will ensure a smooth shopping experience and provide you with recourse should any issues arise with your purchase.
- Consider Customization: Some retailers offer customization options, allowing you to choose the fabric, pattern, or additional details for a truly unique kimono top. If you’re looking for something specific or have a particular vision in mind, explore customization options to create a kimono top that reflects your style perfectly.
By following these tips, you’ll be well-equipped to make an informed decision when buying a kimono top. Taking the time to consider your preferences, check the quality, and explore different options will help you find a kimono top that not only fits you well but also suits your style and the occasion you have in mind.
Kimono tops are incredibly versatile and stylish garments that allow women to embrace the beauty and elegance of traditional Japanese fashion. Whether you opt for a traditional kimono top with exquisite patterns and luxurious silk fabric or a modern interpretation with contemporary designs and experimental fabrics, there is a kimono top out there to suit your personal style and occasion.
When purchasing a kimono top, whether online or in physical stores, it’s important to consider factors such as fit, style, fabric, and occasion. Take accurate measurements, explore different styles and options, and check the quality and customer feedback to ensure you’re making the right choice.
Online retailers like Etsy, Amazon, ASOS, and Farfetch offer a wide range of kimono tops in various styles and price ranges. These platforms provide convenience and accessibility, allowing you to explore and purchase your desired kimono top with just a few clicks.
If you prefer a more tactile and immersive shopping experience, you can visit department stores, boutiques, specialty stores, or even attend cultural festivals and events. These physical stores offer the opportunity to try on different kimono tops, receive personalized recommendations, and appreciate the craftsmanship and details up close.
Whether you choose to shop online or in physical stores, it’s important to follow some key tips for buying kimono tops. Take your measurements, consider the occasion, inspect the quality, and read customer reviews to ensure you’re making an informed decision.
With their timeless charm and captivating designs, kimono tops are a wonderful addition to any wardrobe. They allow you to express your individuality, honor the rich cultural heritage of Japan, and make a fashion statement that stands out from the crowd. So, embrace the beauty of kimono tops and enjoy the elegance and allure they bring to your style.