Why Garters For Weddings
Modified: August 5, 2023
Discover the significance of garters for weddings and explore the beautiful collection of garters for women, adding elegance and tradition to your special day.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Under-tec.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Table of Contents
Weddings are joyous occasions filled with love, laughter, and cherished traditions. One such tradition that has stood the test of time is the use of garters. Garters have been a staple in wedding ceremonies for centuries, adding a touch of romance and mystery to the bride’s attire.
When we think of garters, we often picture a delicate band of lace, adorned with a bow or a decorative accent, wrapped around the bride’s thigh. While garters have evolved over the years in terms of style and design, their significance remains unchanged.
In this article, we will delve into the history of garters in weddings, explore the symbolism behind this tradition, discuss the modern uses of garters, and provide insights on how to choose and buy the perfect garter for your special day.
Whether you are a bride-to-be, a wedding planner, or simply someone intrigued by wedding customs, join us on this journey as we unravel the wonderful world of garters in weddings.
History of Garters in Weddings
Garters have a fascinating history that dates back to medieval times. The word “garter” originates from the Old English word “gār,” meaning “leg,” highlighting its connection to this part of the body. In those times, garters served a practical purpose rather than a decorative one.
During the Middle Ages, women wore garters to hold up their stockings, which were made of heavy fabrics and tended to sag or fall down. Garters, typically made of fabric or leather, were tied just above the knee to keep stockings in place. They were functional accessories that provided support and prevented stockings from slipping.
As time went on, garters began to take on a more symbolic meaning in weddings. It is believed that the tradition of wearing a garter on your wedding day originated in the 14th century in England. According to folklore, it was considered good luck to obtain a piece of the bride’s clothing, and the garter became the chosen item.
In those days, it was also customary for bridal party members to accompany the newlyweds to their bedroom after the wedding ceremony. As proof of consummation, the groom would present the bride’s garter as evidence to the witnesses. This ritual evolved into a playful tradition known as the “removing of the garter,” where the groom would remove the garter from the bride’s leg and toss it to the single men in attendance.
Over the centuries, garters became increasingly decorative and luxurious. They were crafted from fine fabrics, embellished with lace, pearls, or intricate embroidery, and adorned with ribbons or bows. Garters became a symbol of femininity, sensuality, and beauty, adding an element of allure and romance to the bride’s ensemble.
Today, the tradition of wearing a garter has evolved into a beloved custom that brings a sense of nostalgia to weddings. While no longer a functional item, garters continue to hold a special place in the hearts of brides and their loved ones, embodying both tradition and personal style.
Symbolism of Garters in Weddings
Garters hold a deep symbolism in weddings, representing various meanings and traditions. As an accessory worn close to the body, garters carry a sense of intimacy and romance. Let’s explore the symbolism behind garters in weddings.
1. Good Luck: In many cultures, garters are believed to bring good luck and prosperity to the newlyweds. It is thought that by wearing a garter, the bride is ensuring a happy and prosperous marriage.
2. Tradition: Garters are steeped in tradition and are a tangible link to the past. By incorporating a garter into their wedding attire, brides are honoring the customs and rituals of previous generations.
3. Coming of Age: Historically, garters were associated with a woman’s passage into womanhood. Wearing a garter on her wedding day signifies the bride’s transition from being a single woman to a married one.
4. Sensuality: Garters are inherently sensual, evoking feelings of passion and desire. The act of wearing a garter heightens the bride’s femininity and adds a touch of allure to her wedding ensemble.
5. Connection to the Past: Garters often carry sentimental value as heirlooms passed down through generations. By wearing a family heirloom garter, the bride forges a connection to her ancestors and carries their love and blessings with her.
6. Unity: Some couples view the garter as a symbol of unity. Just as the bride wears the garter on her thigh, the groom plays a role in the garter toss tradition, symbolizing their unity in marriage.
It is important to note that the symbolism of garters may vary across cultures and personal beliefs. For some, the meaning may be rooted in tradition, while for others, it may simply serve as a fashionable accessory. Regardless of individual interpretations, garters continue to hold a special place in weddings, adding an element of grace, charm, and significance to the celebration.
Tradition of Tossing the Garter
One of the most anticipated moments in a wedding reception is the tradition of tossing the garter. This centuries-old custom adds an element of excitement and entertainment to the celebration. Let’s explore the tradition of tossing the garter and its significance.
The tossing of the garter stems from an ancient belief that obtaining a piece of the bride’s attire brings good luck. In the past, guests would eagerly wait for the opportunity to catch a glimpse of the bride’s undergarments as a sign of good fortune.
During the wedding reception, after the bouquet toss, the groom removes the garter from the bride’s leg. This act symbolizes the groom’s newfound rights as her husband. The removal of the garter is often accompanied by playful teasing and laughter, which adds a lighthearted and fun element to the event.
Once the garter is in the groom’s possession, he then tosses it into a crowd of single men. Similar to the bouquet toss, it is believed that the man who catches the garter will be the next to marry.
The symbolism behind the garter toss adds an element of excitement and playfulness to the wedding celebration. It allows the single men in attendance to participate in the festivities and adds an element of friendly competition.
While the garter toss tradition is still popular, some couples may choose to forgo it or modify it to suit their preferences. For example, instead of tossing the actual garter, couples may use a bouquet or a novelty garter for the toss. Others may choose to include both the garter and bouquet toss, ensuring that everyone, regardless of gender, has a chance to participate.
It’s important to note that the garter toss tradition is not mandatory, and couples should feel free to customize their wedding festivities to reflect their unique personalities and values.
Whether couples choose to partake in the garter toss or not, the tradition adds an element of fun and surprise to the wedding reception. It creates a memorable experience for both the couple and their guests, fostering a sense of joy and celebration.
Modern Uses of Garters in Weddings
While garters have a rich history rooted in tradition, they have also evolved to serve modern purposes in weddings. Nowadays, garters go beyond being a symbolic accessory and have found new roles and uses in contemporary wedding celebrations. Let’s explore the modern uses of garters in weddings.
1. Fashion Statement: Garters have become a fashion statement in weddings, allowing brides to showcase their personal style and add a unique touch to their attire. From simple and elegant designs to bold and glamorous ones, garters are now available in a wide range of styles, colors, and materials to complement a bride’s outfit.
2. Something Blue: In the tradition of “something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue,” the garter has become a popular choice for the “something blue” element. Brides often incorporate blue ribbons, lace, or embellishments into their garters to add a subtle and meaningful touch to their attire.
3. Bridal Keepsake: Many brides consider their garter as a treasured keepsake from their wedding day. It holds sentimental value and serves as a memento of the special occasion. Some brides even choose to have their garters personalized with their names, wedding date, or a special message as a lasting reminder of their wedding day.
4. Gifts and Favors: Garters have become popular gifts for bridesmaids and attending guests. Brides often present their bridal party with matching or coordinating garters as a token of appreciation for their support. Garters can also be given as wedding favors to guests, making for a unique and memorable souvenir.
5. Wedding Photoshoots: Garters add a touch of glamour and romance to wedding photoshoots. Photographers often incorporate the garter into creative poses and compositions, capturing the essence of the bride’s beauty and the significance of the tradition. Garter removal and tossing moments also provide memorable photo opportunities filled with laughter and cheer.
6. Alternative Uses: Some couples find creative and alternative uses for garters in their wedding celebrations. Garters can be used as decorative elements in wedding décor, such as wrapped around tables or chairs, or even as accents on wedding cakes. These unique uses make garters a versatile accessory that adds an element of charm and whimsy to various aspects of the wedding.
The modern uses of garters reflect the evolving nature of weddings and the desire to infuse personalization and creativity into every detail. Whether it’s a fashion statement, a sentimental keepsake, or a decorative accent, garters continue to play a significant role in modern wedding celebrations.
Buying and Choosing Garters for Weddings
When it comes to buying and choosing garters for weddings, there are several factors to consider. The perfect garter should not only reflect your personal style but also complement your wedding attire. Let’s explore some tips and considerations for purchasing and selecting garters.
1. Style and Design: Garters come in a wide variety of styles, from simple and elegant to intricate and ornate. Consider the overall aesthetic of your wedding and choose a garter that matches the theme and vibe. Whether you prefer a traditional lace garter or a modern and bold design, make sure it aligns with your personal taste and the overall look you envision.
2. Size and Fit: Garters should fit comfortably around your thigh without being too tight or loose. Measure your thigh carefully to ensure a proper fit, or opt for adjustable garters that can be easily customized. Comfort is key, as you will be wearing the garter throughout the day and night, so choose a size and style that feels secure and comfortable.
3. Color: Garters come in various colors, so consider whether you want it to match your wedding color scheme or serve as your “something blue.” Traditional colors like white or ivory are classic options, but don’t be afraid to choose a garter in a bolder color that adds a pop of excitement to your ensemble.
4. Material: Pay attention to the material of the garter to ensure it is both comfortable and durable. Common materials include lace, satin, silk, or a combination. Consider the season and climate of your wedding when selecting the material, as you want to ensure your garter is appropriate for the weather and won’t cause any discomfort.
5. Personalization: If you want to add a personal touch to your garter, consider customizing it with embroidery, monogramming, or a charm that holds special meaning to you. Personalization can make your garter feel even more special and unique to your wedding day.
6. Matching Sets: Some brides choose to wear matching garter sets, with one garter to keep as a keepsake and one to toss. If you opt for a set, ensure that both garters coordinate in style, color, and design. This way, you can have a beautiful keepsake while still participating in the garter toss tradition.
When buying your garter, explore different bridal shops, online marketplaces, and specialty stores that offer a wide range of options. Don’t be afraid to reach out to the retailer or designer for any specific questions or customization requests you may have.
Overall, choosing a garter for your wedding is an opportunity to infuse your personal style and taste into your bridal ensemble. Take the time to find the perfect garter that makes you feel special and adds that extra touch of charm and romance to your wedding day.
Alternatives to Garters in Weddings
While garters have long been a traditional accessory in weddings, some couples may choose to explore alternatives that suit their personal style and preferences. If you’re looking for unique and creative alternatives to garters, consider the following options:
1. Bridal Belts: Rather than wearing a garter, some brides opt for bridal belts or sashes. These beautiful accessories are typically worn around the waist and can add a touch of elegance and definition to the wedding dress. Bridal belts come in various styles, from delicate beaded designs to statement pieces adorned with crystals or floral appliques.
2. Leg Jewelry: If you prefer something more modern and fashion-forward, consider showcasing your legs with leg jewelry. This trend involves wearing delicate chains, anklets, or elaborate jewelry pieces that wrap around the leg, creating a unique and eye-catching accent.
3. Bouquet Charms: Incorporating sentimental touches into your wedding can be done through bouquet charms. These small, personalized charms can be attached to your bouquet, showcasing meaningful photos or messages. They provide a lovely alternative to garters and allow you to carry cherished memories with you as you walk down the aisle.
4. Lace Appliques: Apply lace appliques directly onto your wedding dress for a subtle, romantic touch. Lace appliques can be strategically placed on the dress, mimicking the look of a garter without actually wearing one. This option allows you to maintain the traditional aesthetic while offering a unique twist.
5. Handkerchiefs or Hankies: For a vintage-inspired alternative, consider carrying a handkerchief or hankie that holds sentimental value. Personalize it with embroidery, lace, or monograms to make it even more special. This option adds a nostalgic element to your wedding and can be kept as a treasured heirloom.
6. Wrist Corsages: Instead of wearing a garter on your leg, adorn your wrist with a beautiful wrist corsage. It allows you to showcase flowers or other decorative elements while adding a touch of elegance and glamour to your overall look.
Remember, the alternatives to garters are limitless, and it’s all about finding what resonates with your personal style and vision for your wedding day. These alternatives provide opportunities to incorporate unique touches, sentimental elements, and creative flair into your bridal ensemble.
Ultimately, the choice of whether to wear a garter or explore alternatives is entirely up to you. Embrace the opportunity to think outside the box and choose an option that truly reflects your personality and adds that special touch to your wedding attire.
Garters have long been a cherished tradition in weddings, symbolizing love, luck, and femininity. From their practical origins as stocking holders to their modern role as fashion accessories, garters have evolved while retaining their sentimental significance.
Exploring the history and symbolism of garters in weddings reveals their deep-rooted connections to tradition, sensuality, and unity. The tossing of the garter adds an element of excitement and playfulness to wedding receptions, creating memorable moments for both the couple and their guests.
In recent years, garters have taken on new roles, serving as tokens of good luck, fashion statements, and cherished keepsakes. Couples have embraced alternatives such as bridal belts, leg jewelry, bouquet charms, lace appliques, and wrist corsages, allowing for personalization and unique expression.
When choosing garters for weddings, it’s important to consider factors like style, fit, color, and material. Customization options, such as personalization and matching sets, can further enhance the significance of this accessory.
Ultimately, whether you choose to wear a garter, explore alternatives, or incorporate a combination of both, the decision should reflect your personal style and values. Your wedding should be a reflection of your individuality and a celebration of love and commitment.
As you embark on your wedding planning journey, remember that garters are more than just fabric and lace. They are symbols of tradition, romance, and connection to the past. From medieva