How To Wear Graduation Robe
Modified: July 30, 2023
Learn how to wear a graduation robe for all ceremonies and make a stylish statement on your special day. Browse our step-by-step guide now!
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Under-tec.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Table of Contents
Graduation day is an important milestone in every student’s life. It’s a day where you celebrate your hard work, achievements, and the beginning of a new chapter. One of the key elements of a graduation ceremony is the iconic graduation robe, also known as the academic gown. Wearing this robe not only signifies your academic accomplishments but also serves as a symbol of unity and tradition across educational institutions.
While wearing a graduation robe may seem straightforward, there are a few tips and tricks to ensure that you look your best as you walk across the stage or pose for photographs. In this article, we will guide you through the process of properly wearing a graduation robe, from preparing for the big day to adding the final touches. So, whether you’re a soon-to-be graduate or attending a graduation as a guest, let’s dive into the steps to wearing a graduation robe with confidence and style.
Before we begin, it’s important to note that different educational institutions may have variations in their graduation regalia, so be sure to check any specific guidelines or requirements provided by your school. However, the following instructions generally apply to most graduation robes and are recognized by the majority of institutions.
Preparing for Graduation
As graduation day approaches, there are a few key steps you can take to ensure that you’re well-prepared to wear your graduation robe. Here are some tips to help you get ready for the big day:
- Know the requirements: Familiarize yourself with your school’s guidelines regarding the graduation dress code. Find out the specific details about the robe color, type, and any additional accessories or regalia that may be required.
- Order your robe in advance: Graduation robes are typically ordered through the school’s bookstore or an authorized vendor. It’s crucial to order your robe well in advance to avoid any last-minute rush or availability issues. Be sure to provide accurate measurements to ensure a proper fit.
- Prepare your outfit: Decide on the attire you’ll be wearing underneath your graduation robe. Most students opt for formal attire such as a collared shirt, dress pants or a skirt, and appropriate shoes. Consider the weather conditions on the day of graduation and dress accordingly.
- Gather necessary accessories: Apart from the graduation robe, there may be additional accessories or regalia that you need to wear. This could include a graduation cap (also known as a mortarboard), a tassel, or an honor cord. Ensure you have all these items ready and in good condition.
- Iron or steam your robe: Graduation robes are typically made from a polyester blend, which can become wrinkled during storage. A few days before the ceremony, carefully iron or steam your robe to remove any creases and ensure it looks crisp and presentable.
By taking these steps to prepare for your graduation, you’ll be well on your way to confidently wearing your graduation robe on the big day. With careful planning and attention to detail, you can make sure that your graduation attire is a reflection of your achievement and a source of pride as you receive your diploma.
Putting on the Robe
Once you have your graduation robe prepared and all your necessary accessories gathered, it’s time to put on the robe. Follow these steps to ensure a proper fit:
- Hold the robe with the front facing you: Start by holding the robe with the front side facing you. The front side is typically the side with the fastening mechanism or buttons.
- Slide your arms through the sleeves: Gently slide your arms through the sleeves of the robe. Make sure the shoulders of the robe align with your own shoulders.
- Let the robe hang naturally: Allow the robe to hang naturally, ensuring that the front and back hemline are at the appropriate length. The robe should fall somewhere between your knee and ankle, depending on the style and tradition of your institution.
- Secure the front of the robe: If your robe has a fastening mechanism, such as buttons or a zipper, fasten it securely. If there are no fasteners, ensure that the robe is overlapped at the front and stays in place.
- Adjust the neckline: Check that the neckline of the robe is sitting comfortably on your shoulders. Make any necessary adjustments to ensure a proper fit, avoiding any visible undergarments.
When putting on the robe, be careful not to crease or wrinkle it. Handle the fabric gently to maintain its pristine appearance. If needed, ask for assistance from a friend or family member to ensure that the robe is properly aligned and sitting correctly on your body.
Once you have successfully put on the graduation robe, you’re one step closer to looking the part and participating in the graduation ceremony with pride. Now let’s move on to the next step of adjusting the robe to ensure a polished and comfortable fit.
Adjusting the Robe
After putting on the graduation robe, it’s important to make a few adjustments to ensure a proper fit and a polished appearance. Here are the steps for adjusting the robe:
- Straighten the robe: Check for any twists or folds in the fabric and straighten them out. Ensure that the robe is hanging evenly and symmetrically on your body.
- Align the hemline: Ensure that the hemline of the robe is even and parallel to the ground. Adjust the length if needed while keeping in mind any specific guidelines from your institution.
- Smooth out wrinkles: Smooth out any wrinkles or creases in the robe by running your hands along the fabric. Take extra care to smoothen the areas around the shoulders, chest, and arms.
- Check the sleeve length: The sleeves of the graduation robe should typically reach your wrist or fall slightly below it. Adjust the length of the sleeves if necessary by rolling or folding them carefully.
- Ensure freedom of movement: Move your arms and shoulders to ensure that the robe allows for comfortable and unrestricted movement. Make any adjustments around the upper body if needed.
While adjusting the robe, ensure that it fits comfortably without being too tight or too loose. The goal is to achieve a clean and well-fitted appearance that reflects your achievement and professionalism. It may be helpful to use a full-length mirror or have someone give you feedback to ensure that the robe looks presentable from all angles.
By taking the time to properly adjust the graduation robe, you’ll not only enhance your overall appearance but also feel more confident and at ease as you participate in the graduation ceremony. The next step is to secure the robe to ensure it stays in place throughout the event.
Securing the Robe
Once you have adjusted the graduation robe to your liking, it’s important to secure it properly to ensure it stays in place during the ceremony. Here are some tips for securing the robe:
- Use a robe clasp or safety pin: If your graduation robe has a clasp or hook-and-eye closure, fasten it securely to prevent the robe from shifting or opening. Alternatively, you can use a safety pin to keep the robe closed at the front.
- Tie the robe with a cord or belt: Some graduation robes come with a cord or belt that can be tied around the waist to secure the robe. Follow the instructions provided with the cord or belt to ensure a proper and secure knot.
- Consider using a robe retainer: A robe retainer is a small piece of elastic or fabric with a button or loop that can be attached to the inside of the robe. It helps to keep the robe from slipping off the shoulders and provides added security.
- Check for comfortable movement: After securing the robe, move your arms, shoulders, and torso to ensure that you have a full range of movement and that the robe stays in place. Make any adjustments if needed to maintain comfort and functionality.
Securing the graduation robe is crucial to avoid any wardrobe malfunctions or distractions during the ceremony. By following these tips, you can feel confident that your robe will stay in place as you walk across the stage or participate in various graduation activities.
Remember to secure the robe in a way that is comfortable for you while also adhering to any specific guidelines provided by your educational institution. With the robe properly secured, you’ll be ready for the next step: wearing the graduation hood.
Wearing the Hood
Wearing the graduation hood is an important part of the graduation attire, representing your academic achievements and field of study. Here’s how to properly wear the hood:
- Hold the hood with the velvet side up: Start by holding the graduation hood with the velvet side facing up. The velvet portion represents the field of study, so make sure it is facing outward.
- Drape the hood over your head: Position the hood over your head with the velvet side out and the folded part of the hood resting on your shoulders.
- Adjust the hood to fall properly: The hood should drape down the back of your gown, with the velvet portion sitting at the back of your neck. Adjust the hood so that it hangs evenly and does not bunch up around your neck or shoulders.
- Secure the hood in place: Use the cord or button loop attached to the hood to secure it to a button or clasp on the front of your gown. This will help keep the hood in place and prevent it from sliding off of your shoulders.
- Smooth out any wrinkles: Carefully smooth out any wrinkles or folds in the hood fabric. Be gentle to avoid damaging the delicate material.
It’s worth noting that the length of the hood and the colors on the inside of the hood may vary depending on your degree and the academic institution’s traditions. Make sure to familiarize yourself with any specific guidelines regarding the proper placement and positioning of the hood.
When wearing the graduation hood, take a moment to adjust it and ensure that it sits comfortably on your shoulders. The hood should be visible from the front and the back, adding an elegant touch to your overall graduation attire. Now that you’ve successfully worn the hood, let’s move on to the final touches and some additional tips.
Final Touches and Tips
As you near the completion of your graduation attire, here are some final touches and additional tips to ensure you look your best on your special day:
- Wear appropriate footwear: Choose comfortable and appropriate footwear that complements your outfit and the formality of the occasion. Avoid shoes that may cause discomfort or difficulty while walking.
- Style your hair and accessories: Decide on a hairstyle that works well with your graduation cap and complements your overall look. Avoid hairstyles that may obstruct the cap or the view of others. Additionally, consider wearing minimal accessories to keep the focus on your academic attire.
- Practice walking and moving in your robe: Take some time to practice walking, sitting, and moving around in your graduation robe. This will help you feel more comfortable and confident during the actual ceremony.
- Arrive early: Plan to arrive early at the graduation venue to allow yourself ample time for any last-minute adjustments or preparations. This will help you avoid unnecessary stress and ensure a smooth start to the ceremony.
- Maintain good posture: Keep your shoulders back and your head held high while wearing the graduation attire. Good posture will enhance your overall appearance and portray confidence and professionalism.
- Respect the regalia: Treat your graduation attire with respect and care. It is a symbol of your academic achievements and should be worn with pride and gratitude for the hard work that brought you to this momentous occasion.
Remember, the graduation ceremony is not only a celebration of your accomplishments but also a time to cherish and enjoy the experience. Take a moment to reflect on your journey, embrace the significance of the occasion, and celebrate alongside your friends, family, and fellow graduates.
By following these final touches and tips, you can ensure that you make the most of your graduation day and look back on it with fond memories. Congratulations on reaching this milestone, and best of luck as you embark on your future endeavors!
Wearing a graduation robe is not only a tradition but also a symbol of academic achievement and pride. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can confidently and stylishly wear your graduation robe on your special day.
From preparing for graduation and putting on the robe to adjusting it for the perfect fit, securing it in place, wearing the hood, and adding the final touches, each step plays a crucial role in ensuring that you look your best during the ceremony. Additionally, the tips provided help to enhance your overall appearance and ensure a comfortable and memorable graduation experience.
As you don your graduation attire, remember the significance of this moment and take pride in your accomplishments. Graduation day is a time to celebrate your hard work, dedication, and the future that lies ahead.
Lastly, don’t forget to savor the experience, enjoy the company of loved ones, and embrace the joy and excitement that comes with crossing the stage and receiving your diploma. Congratulations on reaching this important milestone, and may your graduation day be filled with pride, happiness, and endless possibilities!