What Is Tankini
Modified: August 2, 2023
Discover the trendy and versatile swimwear option, tankini. Find out what tankini is and why it's the perfect choice for your beach outings. Explore a wide range of stylish tankinis at our store.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Under-tec.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Table of Contents
The world of swimwear is constantly evolving, with new trends and styles emerging each season. One popular and versatile option that has gained significant popularity is the tankini. Offering the perfect balance between a bikini and a one-piece swimsuit, the tankini has become a go-to choice for women who desire both coverage and flexibility.
But what exactly is a tankini? Simply put, a tankini is a two-piece swimsuit that consists of a tank top-style top and a separate bottom. This unique design provides ample coverage for those who prefer not to expose their midriff while still allowing for easy movement and comfort.
The tankini offers numerous benefits, making it a popular choice among women of all ages and body types. With a wide range of styles, designs, and patterns available, there is a perfect tankini out there for everyone. Whether you’re lounging by the pool, hitting the beach, or engaging in water sports, the tankini can provide the right combination of style and functionality.
In this article, we will delve deeper into the world of tankinis, exploring their history, the pros and cons, different styles and designs, and how to choose the perfect one for you. So, if you’re ready to dive into the world of tankinis, let’s get started!
Definition of Tankini
A tankini is a type of two-piece swimsuit that combines the coverage of a tank top with the versatility of a bikini. It consists of a tank top-style top that covers the midriff, often extending to the hips, and a separate bottom. The bottom can vary in style, ranging from bikini bottoms to shorts or skirt-like designs.
The tankini provides an alternative to traditional one-piece swimsuits or bikinis, offering more coverage while still allowing for easy movement. It is designed to provide comfort and confidence to women who may not feel comfortable or want to expose their midriff but still desire the freedom and style of a two-piece swimsuit.
One of the defining features of a tankini is the longer length of the top, which covers the entire torso or a significant portion of it. This added coverage makes the tankini suitable for various body types and offers a flattering option for those who want to conceal their stomach area.
Tankinis come in a wide range of styles, colors, patterns, and designs, allowing individuals to express their personal style and find a tankini that suits their preferences. Whether you prefer bold and vibrant prints, classic solids, or intricate details, there is a tankini out there for you.
The versatility of the tankini extends beyond the pool or beach. It can also be paired with skirts, shorts, or pants, making it a versatile option for various summer activities. From beach parties to casual outings, the tankini can be easily transformed into a stylish and practical outfit.
Overall, the tankini is a great choice for those who want the best of both worlds – the coverage of a one-piece swimsuit and the flirtatiousness of a bikini. It offers a comfortable and fashionable option that allows individuals to feel confident and beautiful while enjoying their time in the sun.
History of Tankinis
The tankini may be a relatively new addition to the world of swimwear, but its origins can be traced back to the early 1990s. The creation of the tankini is often credited to designer Anne Cole, who was looking for a way to provide more coverage without sacrificing style. Cole saw a gap in the market for women who desired a two-piece swimsuit but wanted to conceal their midriff.
Cole’s innovative design consisted of a longer bikini top that covered the stomach area while still maintaining the freedom and flexibility of a traditional bikini. This new swimsuit option quickly gained popularity, appealing to women of all ages who wanted a comfortable and flattering alternative to traditional one-piece swimsuits or bikinis.
Throughout the 1990s, the tankini continued to gain momentum, as more designers recognized the demand for stylish and functional swimwear options. This led to a wide variety of tankini styles and designs hitting the market, increasing the options available to women seeking both coverage and style.
One of the reasons tankinis became so popular is their ability to cater to different body types. The longer length of the top provides coverage for those who are self-conscious about their midsection, while the separate bottom offers the flexibility to choose a style that flatters individual body shapes. This inclusivity and versatility were key factors in the rise of tankinis as a swimwear staple.
As the tankini gained mainstream popularity, it continued to evolve. Designers began experimenting with different necklines, strap options, and embellishments, adding even more variety to the tankini market. Today, tankinis can be found in a wide range of styles, including halter tops, bandeau tops, racerback tops, and more.
This evolution also extended to the fabric choices, with options ranging from traditional swimwear materials to more innovative and sustainable choices. Additionally, tankinis are now available in various sizes, catering to full-figured women who want fashionable swimwear options that provide the necessary support and coverage.
The history of the tankini showcases its journey from a simple swimwear innovation to a beloved staple in many women’s summer wardrobe. Its continued popularity is a testament to its comfort, style, and ability to cater to diverse body types, making it an enduring choice for those seeking a fashionable and flattering swimsuit option.
Pros and Cons of Tankini
- Versatility: One of the major advantages of the tankini is its versatility. The separate top and bottom allow for mix and match options, allowing you to create different looks with just a few pieces. You can pair your tankini top with different bottoms or even wear the tank top as a regular top with skirts or shorts, making it a versatile addition to your summer wardrobe.
- Flattering: The tankini offers a flattering silhouette for various body types. With the longer length of the top, it conceals the midsection and provides more coverage than a traditional bikini, making it a great option for those who are self-conscious about their stomach area. The separate bottom also allows for customization, ensuring you can choose a style that flatters your body shape.
- Convenience: Putting on and taking off a tankini is easier compared to a one-piece swimsuit. You don’t have to struggle with squeezing into a tight-fitting suit or deal with removing the entire suit when nature calls. The separate top and bottom make bathroom breaks a breeze.
- Comfort: Tankinis are known for their comfort. The tank top-style top provides ample coverage and support, allowing for easy movement and flexibility. It doesn’t restrict your movements like some one-piece swimsuits might, making it a comfortable option for various activities, such as swimming, sunbathing, or playing beach games.
- Sun Protection: Another advantage of the tankini is the added sun protection it offers. With more coverage than a bikini, it helps to shield your skin from harmful UV rays, reducing the risk of sunburn. Some tankini tops even come with built-in UPF sun protection, offering an extra layer of defense against the sun’s rays.
- Tan Lines: One of the downsides of wearing a tankini is the potential for tan lines. The longer top may result in uneven tan lines on your midriff, especially if you spend a lot of time in the sun. However, this can be mitigated by opting for tankini tops with removable straps or by using self-tanners to even out your tan.
- Less Coverage Compared to One-Piece: While tankinis offer more coverage than bikinis, they still provide less overall coverage compared to one-piece swimsuits. If you prefer maximum coverage for modesty or sun protection, a tankini may not be the best choice for you. In such cases, a one-piece swimsuit might be a more suitable option.
- Fit Issues: Finding the perfect fit with a tankini can sometimes be a challenge. Since the top and bottom are sold separately, it can be difficult to find the right size and style combination that fits your body perfectly. However, many brands now offer tankinis in different sizes and provide sizing charts to help you find the best fit.
- Limited Support: Depending on the style and design of the tankini top, it may not offer as much support as a traditional one-piece swimsuit or a dedicated bikini top. If you require ample support for a larger bust, it’s important to choose a tankini top with built-in underwire, adjustable straps, or added support features.
Understanding the pros and cons of tankinis can help you make an informed decision about whether this style of swimsuit is right for you. Consider your personal preferences, body type, and the activities you’ll be engaging in to determine if a tankini aligns with your needs and preferences.
Tankini Styles and Designs
Tankinis come in a wide array of styles and designs, ensuring that there is something for everyone’s taste and preference. Whether you prefer a classic and timeless look or a vibrant and trendy design, you’ll have no trouble finding a tankini that suits your style. Here are some popular tankini styles and designs:
- Halter Top: A halter top tankini features straps that tie behind the neck, providing excellent support and lift. This style is great for accentuating the shoulders and creating a flattering neckline.
- Bandeau Top: A bandeau top tankini is strapless or features removable straps and provides a sleek and elegant look. It is perfect for minimizing tan lines and creating a modern and chic style.
- Racerback Top: A racerback tankini features straps that meet in the center of the back, forming a Y-shape. This design not only offers additional support but also adds a sporty and athletic touch to your swimwear.
- Tankini with Underwire: For those who desire ample support and lift, a tankini with underwire offers added structure and shaping. The underwire helps lift the bust, providing a flattering and comfortable fit.
- Bikini Bottom: The traditional bikini bottom is a classic choice to pair with your tankini top. It offers medium coverage and allows for maximum leg movement.
- Skirted Bottom: A skirted bottom provides extra coverage and is a flirty and feminine option. It conceals the hips and upper thighs, offering a more modest and versatile look.
- Shorts: Tankinis with shorts make a great choice for those who want a sporty and active look. The shorts provide coverage and allow for comfortable movement during water activities or beach sports.
- Bikini Skirt: A bikini skirt is a stylish option that combines the coverage of a skirt with the convenience of a bikini bottom. It adds a touch of femininity and can be worn both in and out of the water.
Designs and Patterns:
Tankinis come in a plethora of prints, patterns, and designs to suit various style preferences:
- Stripes and Solids: Classic stripes or solid colors offer a timeless and sophisticated look that never goes out of style. They can be easily paired with different bottoms for a versatile ensemble.
- Floral Prints: Floral prints evoke a sense of femininity and bring a touch of summer to your beachwear. Choose from vibrant and bold flowers or delicate and romantic blossoms.
- Geometric Prints: Geometric prints offer a modern and edgy vibe with their clean lines and bold shapes. They can create a striking and eye-catching look for your tankini.
- Tropical Prints: Tropical prints featuring palm leaves, exotic flowers, and vibrant colors exude a vacation-ready feel. They are perfect for adding a tropical and beachy vibe to your swimwear.
- Abstract Prints: Abstract prints offer a unique and artistic touch to your tankini. With their bold colors and imaginative designs, they can make a bold fashion statement at the beach or pool.
Remember, the key is to choose a tankini style and design that makes you feel confident and comfortable. Whether you opt for a trendy pattern or a classic solid color, the right tankini will make you look and feel fabulous.
Tankini vs. Traditional Bikini
When it comes to choosing swimwear, one of the common dilemmas women face is deciding between a tankini and a traditional bikini. Both options have their merits, and the choice ultimately depends on individual preferences and comfort levels. Let’s explore the key differences between tankinis and traditional bikinis:
- More Coverage: One of the primary advantages of a tankini is the increased coverage it offers compared to a traditional bikini. The tankini top typically covers the stomach, providing more modesty and making it a suitable choice for those who prefer not to expose their midriff.
- Versatility: Tankinis provide the option to mix and match tops and bottoms, allowing for greater versatility in creating different looks. The separate pieces can be easily paired with other swimwear or clothing items, making it a versatile choice for various summer activities.
- Comfort: Tankinis are known for their comfort, as they offer more coverage and support compared to traditional bikinis. The tank top-style design provides ample coverage and support for the bust, allowing for ease of movement and comfort during water activities.
- Flattering: Tankinis are often deemed more flattering for a wider range of body types. The longer length of the top can help conceal the midsection and create a more balanced silhouette. Additionally, the option to choose different bottom styles allows for customization to suit individual body shapes and preferences.
- Sun Protection: With more fabric coverage than a traditional bikini, tankinis offer increased protection from harmful UV rays. This added coverage can help reduce the risk of sunburn and protect the skin from prolonged exposure to the sun.
- Bolder Look: Traditional bikinis are known for their bold and daring look. They feature smaller pieces of fabric, showcasing more skin and creating a flirtatious and confident appearance. Bikinis are a popular choice for those who want to embrace their body and make a statement at the beach or pool.
- No Tan Lines: Because of their smaller size, traditional bikinis often result in fewer tan lines compared to tankinis. This can be advantageous for those who want an even and seamless tan, particularly if sunbathing or tanning is a priority.
- Minimalistic Feel: Traditional bikinis offer a minimalistic and lightweight feel due to their smaller design and less fabric. This can provide a sense of freedom and a more liberating swimwear experience, especially in hotter climates or during vigorous water activities.
The choice between a tankini and a traditional bikini ultimately comes down to personal preferences and comfort levels. Tankinis are ideal for those who desire more coverage, versatility, and comfort, while traditional bikinis are perfect for those wanting a bolder and more minimalistic look. Regardless of the choice, both options allow women to feel confident, beautiful, and ready to enjoy the water.
Tankini vs. One-Piece Swimsuit
When it comes to choosing the perfect swimwear, two popular options that often come to mind are the tankini and the one-piece swimsuit. Each style has its unique features and benefits, making the decision a matter of personal preference. Let’s compare the tankini and one-piece swimsuit to help you make an informed choice:
- Increased Versatility: Tankinis offer greater versatility compared to one-piece swimsuits. With separate top and bottom pieces, you can mix and match to create different looks, experimenting with various styles and designs.
- Customizable Fit: The separate top and bottom of a tankini allow for a more customizable fit. This is particularly advantageous for individuals with different sizes on their top and bottom halves, as they can choose different sizes for each piece to achieve the perfect fit.
- More Coverage: Tankinis provide more coverage compared to one-piece swimsuits, with the tank top-style top covering the midriff area. This makes it a preferred option for those who desire more modesty or wish to conceal their stomach area.
- Easy Bathroom Access: The tankini’s two-piece design makes bathroom breaks more convenient. Unlike one-piece swimsuits that need to be fully removed, the tankini allows for easy access when nature calls.
- Ease of Movement: Tankinis offer greater freedom of movement compared to one-piece swimsuits. The separate top and bottom pieces allow for a more flexible range of motion, making them suitable for active water activities like swimming or water sports.
- Sleek and Streamlined Look: One-piece swimsuits are known for their sleek and streamlined look. They create a polished and elegant appearance, providing a sense of sophistication and class.
- Inherent Support: One-piece swimsuits often offer more built-in support compared to tankinis. This is beneficial for individuals who require additional support for their bust or prefer a more secure and comfortable fit.
- Maximum Coverage: One-piece swimsuits provide full coverage for the entire torso, making them a great choice for individuals who prefer more modest swimwear. They offer a level of comfort and confidence, particularly for those who may feel self-conscious about their midsection.
- Less Maintenance: With only one piece to worry about, one-piece swimsuits require less maintenance and adjustment compared to tankinis. There are no separate pieces to worry about shifting or readjusting while swimming or engaging in water activities.
- Tan Line Consistency: One-piece swimsuits often result in more consistent tan lines compared to tankinis. The uniform coverage ensures that tan lines are more evenly distributed and predictable, which can be important for individuals seeking a balanced and even tan.
The choice between a tankini and a one-piece swimsuit ultimately depends on your personal style, comfort preferences, and the level of coverage you desire. Tankinis offer versatility and customization, while one-piece swimsuits provide a sleek and streamlined look with maximum coverage. Both options allow you to feel confident and enjoy your time in the water without sacrificing style or comfort.
Tips for Choosing the Perfect Tankini
When it comes to selecting the perfect tankini, there are several factors to consider to ensure a comfortable and flattering fit that suits your style. Here are some tips to help you choose the ideal tankini:
Consider Your Body Shape:
Take into account your body shape and choose a tankini that accentuates your best features. If you have a larger bust, opt for tankinis with built-in underwire or adjustable straps for added support. For those with a smaller bust, choose tops with ruffles or embellishments to create the illusion of volume. Consider the length of the top as well – shorter tops can help elongate the torso, while longer tops provide more coverage.
Pay Attention to Bottom Styles:
Choose a bottom style that flatters your body shape and provides the desired coverage. Bikini bottoms are a classic option, offering medium coverage and a timeless look. Skirted bottoms provide more coverage and a feminine touch, while shorts offer a sporty and active vibe. Consider your comfort and the activities you’ll be engaging in when selecting the bottom style.
Pay attention to the fabric of the tankini. Opt for high-quality fabrics that provide a comfortable fit, offer ample stretch, and have proper moisture-wicking properties. Look for fabrics that provide UV protection, especially if you’ll be spending time in the sun.
Try Different Sizes and Styles:
Don’t be afraid to try on various sizes and styles to find the perfect fit. Different brands may have slightly different sizing, so it’s essential to try on different tankinis to ensure the right fit for your body shape. Experiment with various necklines, strap options, and back styles to find the one that enhances your features and offers the desired support.
Consider Your Skin Tone and Personal Style:
Take your skin tone and personal style into consideration when choosing a tankini. Bright and vibrant colors can complement a sun-kissed complexion, while pastels and neutrals can create an elegant and sophisticated look. Consider patterns and prints that align with your personal style, whether it’s bold, tropical prints or classic stripes. Ultimately, choose a tankini that makes you feel confident and reflects your unique personality.
Check for Proper Fit and Comfort:
Make sure the tankini provides a proper fit and is comfortable to wear. The top should provide ample support for your bust, and the straps should not dig into your skin. The bottoms should fit comfortably around the waist and legs, without being too tight or loose. Move around and stretch in the tankini to ensure it allows for freedom of movement and doesn’t cause any discomfort or irritation.
By considering these tips, you can select a tankini that not only flatters your body shape but also matches your personal style and provides the comfort you need to enjoy your time in the sun.
How to Care for Your Tankini
To ensure your tankini stays in top condition and lasts for seasons to come, proper care is essential. Here are some tips on how to care for your tankini:
Rinse After Each Use:
After wearing your tankini, rinse it thoroughly with cool tap water to remove chlorine, saltwater, sunscreen, and any other potential contaminants. This helps prevent the fabric from deteriorating and prolongs the life of your swimsuit.
Hand Wash or Use a Gentle Cycle:
To maintain the integrity of the fabric, it’s best to hand wash your tankini. Fill a sink or basin with cool water and add a mild detergent suitable for delicate clothing. Gently agitate the swimsuit in the soapy water, paying attention to any stained or soiled areas. Rinse with cool water until all traces of detergent are gone. If using a washing machine, opt for a gentle cycle with cold water.
Avoid Harsh Chemicals:
Avoid using harsh chemicals, bleach, or fabric softeners when cleaning your tankini. These can damage the fabric and cause colors to fade. Stick to gentle, fabric-friendly detergents to maintain the vibrant colors and quality of your swimsuit.
Avoid Machine Drying:
Avoid machine drying your tankini, as the high heat can cause the fabric to shrink and warp. Instead, gently squeeze out any excess water without wringing and lay the tankini flat on a clean towel to air dry. Avoid direct sunlight, as it can also cause fading and damage to the fabric.
Avoid Rough Surfaces:
Avoid sitting or rubbing your tankini against rough surfaces, such as concrete or rough pool edges. This can cause snags or tears in the fabric. Be mindful of where you sit and gently handle your tankini to prevent unnecessary damage.
When not in use, store your tankini in a cool, dry place. Avoid folding or compressing the swimsuit for an extended period, as this can lead to creases and permanent deformations in the fabric. Instead, lay it flat or place it in a breathable swimwear bag to protect it from dust and sunlight.
Alternate Between Swimsuits:
To prolong the life of your tankini, it’s a good idea to have multiple swimsuits and rotate between them. This allows each swimsuit to fully dry and rest between uses, preventing excessive wear and tear on a single suit.
By following these care tips, you can ensure that your tankini remains in excellent condition, retaining its vibrant colors, shape, and comfort for many swim seasons to come.
The tankini offers a versatile and stylish option for women in the world of swimwear. With its unique design that combines the coverage of a one-piece swimsuit and the flexibility of a bikini, the tankini has become a popular choice among individuals of all body types and style preferences.
From its humble beginnings to its evolution into numerous styles and designs, the tankini has revolutionized the way women approach swimwear. With features such as increased coverage, versatility, and comfort, the tankini provides a flattering and practical choice for those who want to feel confident and comfortable while enjoying their time in the sun.
Whether you prefer a classic striped tankini or a vibrant floral print, there is a tankini out there to suit your personal style. By considering factors such as body shape, fabric selection, and bottom styles, you can find the perfect tankini that accentuates your best features and ensures a comfortable and flattering fit.
To ensure the longevity of your tankini, proper care is essential. Rinse your tankini thoroughly after each use, hand wash or use a gentle cycle, and avoid harsh chemicals and machine drying. By following these care guidelines, you can keep your tankini looking great for many swim seasons to come.
Whether you choose a tankini over a traditional bikini or a one-piece swimsuit, what matters most is finding swimwear that makes you feel confident, beautiful, and ready to embrace beach and pool activities. The tankini’s ability to provide coverage, flexibility, and style make it an admirable choice for any woman seeking the perfect swimwear option.