How To Take In A Tankini
Modified: August 5, 2023
Discover the best way to take in a tankini with our helpful guide. Find tips, tricks, and techniques for altering your swimwear to achieve the perfect fit. Swim confidently in your revamped tankini!
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Under-tec.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Table of Contents
Welcome to the world of swimwear, where you can make a splash and soak up the sun in style. Swimwear has come a long way, and one style that has gained popularity in recent years is the tankini. It offers the perfect blend of coverage and freedom, making it a versatile and fashionable choice for any beach or poolside outing.
The tankini has revolutionized the swimwear industry, providing a comfortable and flattering alternative to traditional one-piece swimsuits or bikinis. It features a tank top-style top and a separate bottom, offering more coverage and flexibility than a one-piece while still showing off your sense of style.
Whether you’re looking to embrace your body with confidence, accentuate your curves, or simply enjoy a comfortable swim, the tankini is the perfect choice. With a wide range of designs, patterns, and colors available, there is a tankini for every body type and personal style.
In this article, we will explore the benefits of tankini swimwear, guide you on choosing the right tankini, provide tips on taking accurate measurements, share insights on trying on the tankini, offer advice on adjusting the fit, discuss the art of accessorizing your tankini, and provide guidance on caring for your tankini to ensure its longevity.
So, let’s dive into the world of tankinis and discover how to rock this fabulous swimwear style with confidence and flair!
Benefits of Tankini Swimwear
Tankini swimwear offers a plethora of benefits that make it a popular choice among women of all ages and body types. Here are some of the key advantages of wearing a tankini:
- Versatility: The tankini provides the perfect balance between comfort and style. With a tank top-style top and a separate bottom, it offers more coverage than a bikini while still allowing for easy movement and flexibility.
- Flattering Fit: Tankinis are designed to flatter all body types. The longer length of the top helps to conceal any areas of concern, such as the midsection or hips, while still accentuating your curves and highlighting your best features. They are particularly great for those who want more coverage without sacrificing style.
- Easy Bathroom Access: Unlike one-piece swimsuits, tankinis make bathroom trips a breeze. No more struggling to peel off a wet one-piece just to use the restroom. With a tankini, you can simply lift up the top and go.
- Customizable Options: Tankinis come in a wide range of styles, patterns, and colors, allowing you to express your unique personality and sense of fashion. Mix and match different tops and bottoms to create your own perfect beach or poolside ensemble.
- Convenience: Another advantage of tankinis is their convenience. If you want to get a tan, you can easily roll up the top or choose a strapless design to avoid tan lines. Additionally, when it comes to bathroom breaks or changing outfits, tankinis offer more convenience and practicality compared to one-piece swimsuits.
Whether you’re lounging by the pool, playing beach volleyball, or enjoying a leisurely swim, the tankini offers the perfect combination of style, comfort, and versatility. It is a swimwear staple that provides a flattering and fashionable option for all body types.
Choosing the Right Tankini
When it comes to choosing the right tankini, it’s important to consider a few key factors to ensure the perfect fit and style. Here are some tips to help you find the tankini that suits you best:
- Body Type: Start by assessing your body type. Are you pear-shaped, hourglass, apple-shaped, or athletic? Understanding your body shape will help you identify the most flattering tankini styles for you. For example, if you have a larger bust, look for tankinis with built-in underwire or supportive bra cups.
- Coverage: Determine how much coverage you prefer. Tankinis come in various lengths, from cropped tops to longer tunic-style tops. If you want to conceal your midsection, opt for a longer tankini top. If you’re comfortable showing some skin, a cropped style might be more suited to your taste.
- Prints and Colors: Consider your personal style and the prints and colors that appeal to you. If you prefer a classic look, opt for solid colors or simple patterns. If you’re feeling adventurous, embrace bold prints, vibrant colors, or trendy patterns like florals, stripes, or geometric designs.
- Support: Pay attention to the level of support provided in a tankini. Look for adjustable straps, built-in bras, or underwire for added support and lift, especially if you have a larger bust. The right amount of support will help you feel confident and comfortable throughout your swim or beach day.
- Bottom Style: Consider the type of bottoms that will complement your tankini top. Whether you prefer bikini bottoms, boy shorts, high-waisted bottoms, or skirted bottoms, choose a style that enhances your overall look and makes you feel confident and comfortable.
Remember, the key to choosing the right tankini is finding one that makes you feel beautiful and confident. Explore different styles, try on a few options, and trust your instincts to find the tankini that suits your body type, personal style, and comfort level. With the right tankini, you’ll be ready to hit the beach or poolside with confidence and style!
Taking Accurate Measurements
Getting accurate measurements is crucial when it comes to finding the perfect-fitting tankini. Here are some simple steps to help you take accurate measurements:
- Bust: Wrap the measuring tape around the fullest part of your bust, ensuring that it is level all the way around. Take note of the measurement in inches or centimeters.
- Underbust: Measure directly under your bust, where your bra band usually sits. Make sure the tape is snug but not too tight. Record the measurement.
- Waist: Locate your natural waistline, which is typically the smallest part of your waist. Wrap the measuring tape around your waist, keeping it parallel to the floor. Take note of the measurement.
- Hips: Measure around the fullest part of your hips, usually about 7-9 inches below your waist. Ensure that the tape is parallel to the floor and not too tight. Record the measurement.
- Torso Length: If you are considering a tankini with a longer top, measure your torso’s length from the base of your neck to the top of your bikini bottoms or desired top length. This will help you find the right length to suit your preference.
Once you have your measurements, reference the size chart provided by the swimwear brand or retailer to determine the appropriate size to order. Keep in mind that different brands may have slightly different size guidelines, so always double-check the specific brand’s size chart.
If you’re in between sizes, consider your personal preference for a more fitted or relaxed fit and choose accordingly. Additionally, take note of any size recommendations or reviews from other customers, as this can give you valuable insights into the fit of a particular tankini style.
Remember that accurate measurements are the foundation for finding a tankini that fits you perfectly. Taking the time to measure yourself properly will help you make a more informed decision when purchasing a tankini and ensure your ultimate comfort and confidence when wearing it.
Trying on the Tankini
Once you’ve chosen the tankini style and size that you think will suit you best, it’s time to try it on and see how it looks and feels. Here are some tips for trying on the tankini:
- Be Prepared: Before trying on the tankini, make sure your skin is clean and dry. Wear seamless underwear or a swimsuit bottom to ensure a smooth and accurate fit.
- Step into the Tankini: Slip into the tankini by stepping into the bottoms first and then pulling on the top. This will help you avoid any unnecessary tugging or stretching of the fabric.
- Adjust the Straps: If the tankini has adjustable straps, make sure to customize the fit by loosening or tightening them as needed. Check that the straps feel comfortable and secure without digging into your shoulders.
- Check the Coverage: Assess the coverage of the tankini. Are you comfortable with the amount of skin it reveals? Keep in mind your personal style and comfort level. If you prefer more coverage, consider trying on a longer length tankini or pairing it with bottom styles that provide more coverage.
- Movement and Comfort: Move around in the tankini to ensure it allows for effortless movement and doesn’t feel too tight or restrictive. Lift your arms, bend, and twist to ensure the tankini stays in place and feels comfortable during various activities.
- Look in the Mirror: Take a good look in the mirror from different angles to see how the tankini fits and flatters your body. Pay attention to how it accentuates your curves and highlights your best features. Remember, it’s all about feeling confident and comfortable in your swimwear.
If you’re uncertain about a particular tankini style or fit, don’t hesitate to try on different options to see which one suits you best. Everyone’s body is unique, and what works for someone else may not work for you.
It’s important to trust your instincts and choose the tankini that makes you feel confident, beautiful, and at ease. Remember, the goal is to find a tankini that enhances your natural beauty and allows you to enjoy your beach or pool outing with style and comfort!
Adjusting the Fit
Once you’ve tried on your tankini and assessed the fit, you may find that some adjustments are necessary to ensure the perfect fit and maximum comfort. Here are some tips for adjusting the fit of your tankini:
- Straps: If the straps are too loose or too tight, adjust them accordingly. You want them to sit comfortably on your shoulders without falling down or digging into your skin. Check in the mirror to ensure the straps are symmetrical and provide the desired support.
- Bust Support: If you feel that you need more support in the bust area, look for tankinis with built-in underwire or removable cups. These features can provide additional lift and shape to enhance your natural curves.
- Waistband: If the waistband of your tankini feels too tight or too loose, consider trying a different size or style. You want the waistband to sit comfortably on your waist without digging in or sagging. Proper fit around the waist will help enhance the overall silhouette of your tankini.
- Bottoms: Ensure that the bottoms of your tankini fit well. They should provide sufficient coverage and sit comfortably on your hips without digging into your skin. If necessary, try different bottom styles or sizes to find the most flattering and comfortable fit.
- Adjusting Lining: Sometimes, tankinis have lining or pads that can be adjusted or removed. If you find that the lining is causing discomfort or doesn’t conform well to your body shape, feel free to adjust or remove it to achieve the desired fit.
- Consider Custom Alterations: If you absolutely love a tankini but find that it’s not fitting you perfectly, consider taking it to a professional tailor for custom alterations. They can make adjustments to the straps, waistband, or other areas to ensure a flawless fit that is tailored specifically to your body.
Remember, the fit of your tankini can significantly impact how confident and comfortable you feel while wearing it. Don’t be afraid to make small adjustments or consider custom alterations to achieve the ideal fit that enhances your natural beauty and makes you feel your best on your beach or poolside adventures.
Accessorizing Your Tankini
Accessorizing your tankini can elevate your swimwear look and add a personal touch to your beach or poolside style. Here are some tips to help you accessorize your tankini:
- Hats: Add a stylish hat to your tankini ensemble to protect yourself from the sun and add a touch of glamour. Choose a wide-brimmed hat for maximum sun protection or opt for a floppy straw hat for a more bohemian vibe.
- Sunglasses: Complete your look with a pair of fashionable sunglasses. Choose a style that suits your face shape and reflects your personal style, whether it’s oversized cat-eye frames, classic aviators, or trendy round lenses.
- Cover-Ups: Consider adding a cover-up to your tankini look for when you’re not in the water. A stylish sarong, a breezy kaftan, or a lightweight beach dress can provide coverage and create a chic and effortless beach-to-bar outfit.
- Jewelry: Add some sparkle with simple and lightweight jewelry pieces. Opt for delicate necklaces, stackable bracelets, or statement earrings to complement your tankini and enhance your beach glamor.
- Footwear: Choose comfortable yet stylish footwear to complete your beach look. Flip flops, slide sandals, or espadrilles are all great choices for walking on sandy beaches or lounging poolside.
- Beach Bag: Don’t forget a spacious beach bag to carry all your essentials. Look for a tote bag that can fit your towel, sunscreen, sunglasses, and other beach day necessities. Opt for a trendy and waterproof bag to add both practicality and style to your ensemble.
- Hair Accessories: Experiment with hair accessories like scrunchies, headbands, or colorful hair clips to add a playful and fun touch to your beach hairstyle. Keep your hair off your face and embrace the carefree beach vibes.
Remember, accessorizing your tankini is all about expressing your personal style and adding flair to your swimwear look. Choose pieces that make you feel confident, comfortable, and reflect your unique personality. Have fun mixing and matching accessories to create a beach or poolside ensemble that showcases your individuality!
Caring for Your Tankini
Proper care and maintenance are essential to ensure that your tankini stays in great condition and lasts for many swim seasons to come. Here are some tips for caring for your tankini:
- Rinse After Every Use: After wearing your tankini, rinse it in cold water to remove any saltwater, chlorine, or sunscreen residue. This will help prevent color fading and keep the fabric from deteriorating.
- Hand Wash or Gentle Cycle: To clean your tankini, hand wash it in cold water using a mild detergent. Avoid using bleach or harsh chemicals that could damage the fabric. Alternatively, you can wash your tankini on a gentle cycle in a mesh laundry bag.
- Avoid Wrinkling: To prevent wrinkling, gently squeeze out any excess water after washing your tankini and avoid wringing or twisting the fabric. Lay it flat or hang it up to dry in a shaded area.
- Avoid Sun Exposure: Excessive sun exposure can cause fading and damage to the fabric of your tankini. Whenever possible, try to dry your tankini in the shade and avoid leaving it exposed to direct sunlight for extended periods.
- Keep Away from Rough Surfaces: Be mindful of where you sit or lay down while wearing your tankini. Rough surfaces like concrete or rough pool bottoms can snag or damage the fabric. Look for designated seating areas or use a towel for added protection.
- Store Properly: When you’re not wearing your tankini, store it properly to avoid stretching or damage. Lay it flat or fold it neatly, and store it in a dry and ventilated area away from direct sunlight and heat.
- Rotate Your Swimwear: If you frequently wear your tankini, it’s a good idea to have more than one so you can rotate them. This helps to extend the lifespan of each tankini and prevents excessive wear and tear.
- Follow Care Instructions: Always check the care instructions provided by the manufacturer of your tankini. They may have specific recommendations for washing and caring for the fabric to ensure its longevity.
By following these care guidelines, you can keep your tankini looking vibrant, fitting well, and in excellent condition for many seasons of stylish swimming and sun-soaked adventures.
Choosing the perfect tankini is all about finding a balance between comfort, style, and confidence. With its versatile designs, flattering fit, and wide range of options, the tankini has become a popular choice for women of all body types and ages.
In this article, we explored the benefits of tankini swimwear, discussed how to choose the right tankini, provided tips on taking accurate measurements, shared insights on trying on the tankini, offered advice on adjusting the fit, discussed the art of accessorizing your tankini, and provided guidance on caring for your tankini to ensure its longevity.
Remember, the key to finding the perfect tankini is understanding your body type, determining the level of coverage and support you desire, and finding a style that reflects your personal taste. Taking accurate measurements and trying on different options are important steps in finding the tankini that fits you like a glove.
Accessorizing your tankini can add a touch of flair and personality to your swimwear ensemble. From hats and sunglasses to cover-ups and jewelry, the possibilities for creating a unique and stylish look are endless.
Caring for your tankini properly will help maintain its quality, color, and shape. Rinse it after each use, hand wash it or use the gentle cycle, avoid direct sun exposure, and store it properly to ensure it lasts for many swim seasons to come.
As you embark on your swimwear shopping journey, remember that the most important thing is to feel confident, comfortable, and beautiful in your tankini. Embrace your unique body and style, and enjoy the sun, sand, and water with a fabulous tankini that reflects your individuality.