How Should A Tankini Fit
Modified: August 2, 2023
Discover the perfect fit for women's tankinis. Learn how a tankini should fit to ensure comfort and confidence.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Under-tec.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Table of Contents
When it comes to swimwear, finding the perfect fit is essential for both comfort and confidence. Tankinis, the versatile and stylish two-piece swimsuits, offer a fantastic option for women who want both coverage and flexibility. Whether you’re heading to the beach or lounging by the pool, getting the right fit for your tankini is crucial.
Unlike traditional one-piece swimsuits or bikinis, tankinis allow you to mix and match tops and bottoms to suit your individual style and body shape. This added flexibility makes it easier to find a tankini that fits you perfectly and flatters your unique figure. Whether you’re busty, curvy, or have a more athletic build, there’s a tankini out there that will make you look and feel amazing.
While finding the right tankini can seem overwhelming, understanding how the different elements of the swimsuit should fit will help you navigate through the myriad of options. This article will guide you through the process of finding the perfect fit for your tankini, from evaluating the bust fit to considering the strap fit and ensuring overall comfort and functionality.
By following these guidelines, you’ll be able to select a tankini that not only fits you well but also complements your body shape, allowing you to hit the beach or poolside with confidence. So, let’s dive into the world of tankinis and discover how to find the perfect fit for you!
Tankinis are a popular and versatile swimwear option that combine the coverage of a one-piece swimsuit with the flexibility of a bikini. They consist of a tank top-style top paired with bottoms of your choice, such as bikini bottoms or swim shorts. This unique style offers a range of benefits for women of all body shapes and sizes.
One of the main advantages of tankinis is their ability to provide adjustable coverage. Unlike a one-piece swimsuit, tankinis allow you to expose or cover your midsection as desired. This is especially beneficial if you feel self-conscious about your stomach or want to tan without the risk of awkward tan lines. With a tankini, you have the freedom to show as much or as little skin as you want.
Tankinis also offer versatility in terms of style. The separate top and bottom pieces allow you to mix and match different colors, patterns, and styles to create a personalized look. Whether you prefer a vibrant and bold print or a classic solid color, there are endless options to suit your taste. Additionally, tankinis often come in a variety of necklines, including halter, scoop neck, and bandeau, providing even more style choices.
Furthermore, tankinis are a great option for women who have different sizes on top and bottom. With tankinis, you can select different sizes for the top and bottom pieces, ensuring a better fit overall. This is particularly beneficial for women with a larger bust or wider hips who struggle to find swimsuits that accommodate their proportions properly. Tankinis allow for customization and a more comfortable and flattering fit.
Overall, tankinis provide a stylish, comfortable, and flexible swimwear option for women of all body types. They combine the best features of one-piece swimsuits and bikinis, making them a popular choice for those who want both coverage and the ability to show some skin. Now that you have a better understanding of tankinis, let’s dive into the important considerations for finding the right size and fit for your tankini!
Finding the Right Size
When it comes to finding the perfect tankini, selecting the right size is crucial for a comfortable and flattering fit. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you find the right size for your tankini:
- Measurements: Start by taking your measurements. Using a measuring tape, measure your bust, waist, and hips. Refer to the size chart provided by the swimwear brand to determine the appropriate size range for your body measurements.
- Size Guides: Each swimwear brand may have slightly different sizing charts, so it’s essential to consult their specific size guides. Look for detailed measurements and recommendations for different body types and sizes.
- Try It On: If possible, try on the tankini before purchasing. Different brands may have different sizing systems, so it’s essential to try on the actual swimsuit to ensure the best fit.
- Adjustable Features: Look for tankinis with adjustable features such as tie-back closures, adjustable straps, or removable padding. These features allow you to customize the fit according to your body shape and preferences.
- Considerations: Think about the level of coverage and support you desire. If you prefer more coverage, consider sizing up. If you want more support for a larger bust, opt for tankinis with built-in underwire or molded cups.
- Online Shopping: If you’re purchasing a tankini online, carefully read customer reviews and check if the brand runs true to size or if adjustments need to be made. It’s also helpful to look for photos of real customers wearing the tankini to get a better sense of how it fits.
Remember that finding the perfect tankini size may require some trial and error. Don’t be afraid to try on a few different sizes or styles to find the one that fits you the best. Ultimately, the goal is to find a tankini that provides a comfortable fit, flatters your body shape, and makes you feel confident and beautiful.
Examining the Bust Fit
One of the key areas to consider when finding the right tankini is the bust fit. Ensuring that the top provides proper support and coverage for your bust is essential for both comfort and confidence. Here are some factors to consider when examining the bust fit of a tankini:
- Bra Sizing: Pay attention to the sizing options offered by the swimwear brand. Some brands may offer tankinis in traditional bra sizing, such as cup sizes (e.g., A, B, C) along with band sizes (e.g., 32, 34, 36). This allows for a more precise fit.
- Underwire or Molded Cups: If you have a larger bust or want extra support, look for tankinis with underwire or molded cups. These features provide added lift and shape to enhance the bust fit.
- Adjustable Straps: Opt for tankinis with adjustable straps. Being able to customize the length and tightness of the straps ensures a more secure and comfortable fit for your bust.
- Bust Coverage: Consider the level of coverage you prefer. Some tankinis have a higher neckline or additional fabric panels that provide more coverage and support for larger busts, while others have a more open and revealing design.
- Bust Support: Look for tankinis with built-in shelf bras or elastic underbands. These features offer additional support and help to prevent sagging or discomfort during activities.
- Test It Out: When trying on a tankini, perform a few movements to evaluate the bust fit. Bend over, raise your arms, and move around to ensure that the top stays in place and provides adequate coverage and support.
Finding the right bust fit in a tankini is essential for comfort and confidence. It’s important to choose a style and design that not only fits your bust well but also flatters your body shape. By considering these factors and trying on different options, you’ll be able to find a tankini that accentuates your bust while providing the support and coverage you need.
Evaluating the Waist Fit
When it comes to finding the right tankini, evaluating the waist fit is crucial for a comfortable and flattering look. The waist area plays a significant role in how a tankini fits and accentuates your body shape. Here are some important factors to consider when evaluating the waist fit of a tankini:
- Waistband: Examine the waistband of the tankini bottoms. It should sit comfortably on your waist without digging in or sliding down when you move. Look for tankini bottoms with a wide, elasticized waistband for a secure and comfortable fit.
- Ruching or Shirring: Consider tankini tops or bottoms with ruching or shirring at the waist. This design detail provides a flattering and slimming effect by concealing any tummy bulges and creating a more defined waistline.
- High-Waisted Options: If you prefer more coverage and support for your waist, high-waisted tankini bottoms are a great option. They provide extra coverage for the midsection and offer a trendy and retro look.
- Adjustable Drawstrings or Ties: Look for tankini bottoms with adjustable drawstrings or ties at the waist. These features allow you to customize the fit and create a more defined waistline.
- Consider Your Body Shape: Take your body shape into account when evaluating the waist fit. For example, if you have an hourglass figure, you may prefer a tankini that cinches at the waist to accentuate your curves. If you have a straighter body shape, you might opt for a tankini with added details or patterns to create the illusion of curves.
Remember that the waist fit should be comfortable and flattering, allowing you to move and enjoy your time at the beach or pool with confidence. By considering these factors and trying on different tankini options, you’ll be able to find a style that fits your waist in a way that enhances your natural shape and makes you feel great.
Assessing the Hip Fit
When it comes to finding the right tankini, assessing the hip fit is just as important as evaluating the bust and waist fit. The hip area plays a significant role in how a tankini flatters your body shape and provides the right amount of coverage. Here are some key factors to consider when assessing the hip fit of a tankini:
- Bottom Style: Different tankini bottom styles offer varying degrees of coverage for the hips. Whether you prefer bikini bottoms, swim shorts, or skirted bottoms, choose a style that makes you feel comfortable and confident.
- Hip Measurement: Take your hip measurement into account when selecting a tankini size. Ensure that the bottoms provide enough room to comfortably accommodate your hips without being too loose or too tight.
- Elasticized Leg Openings: Look for tankini bottoms with elasticized leg openings. The elastic helps to ensure that the bottoms stay in place and provide a secure fit around your hips without digging in or causing discomfort.
- Pattern and Design: Consider the pattern and design of the tankini bottoms. Patterns, ruching, and side panels can help create a flattering and slimming effect on the hips, while bold colors or prints can draw attention away from areas you may be less confident about.
- Adjustable Features: Opt for tankinis with adjustable features such as ties, drawstrings, or side ruching. These elements allow you to customize the fit around the hips and create a more tailored look.
Remember that the hip fit should be comfortable and enhance your body shape, providing you with confidence as you enjoy your time by the water. By considering these factors and trying on different tankini options, you can find a style that fits your hips in a way that flatters your figure and makes you feel amazing.
Considering the Length
The length of a tankini plays a significant role in its overall fit and appearance. It’s important to consider the length of both the top and bottom pieces to ensure a comfortable and flattering fit. Here are some points to consider when assessing the length of a tankini:
- Top Length: The length of the tankini top can vary, from short crop tops to longer tunic-style tops. Consider your comfort level and desired coverage when selecting the length. If you prefer more coverage for your midsection, opt for a longer top that falls below the waist or even the hips.
- Bottom Length: The length of the tankini bottoms is also important to consider. Bikini bottoms typically sit at or above the hips, while swim shorts or skirted bottoms provide additional coverage. Choose a length that makes you feel comfortable and confident.
- Proportions: Consider your body proportions when assessing the length of a tankini. If you have a longer torso, you may prefer a tankini top that offers more coverage to balance your proportions. Conversely, if you have shorter legs, opt for tankini bottoms with a higher leg cut to create the illusion of longer legs.
- One-Piece Look: If you prefer the look of a one-piece swimsuit but want the flexibility of a tankini, consider a tankini with a longer top that overlaps the bottoms slightly. This creates the appearance of a cohesive one-piece while still offering the convenience of a two-piece.
- Try It On: When trying on a tankini, move around, stretch, and sit to ensure that the length is comfortable and provides adequate coverage. The tankini should stay in place and not ride up or shift excessively during movement.
Finding the right length in a tankini is crucial for both comfort and style. It’s important to choose a length that flatters your body shape and makes you feel confident. By considering these factors and trying on different tankini options, you’ll be able to find a style that fits your desired length and enhances your overall look.
Checking the Strap Fit
The strap fit of a tankini is an important consideration when it comes to comfort, support, and overall fit. Well-fitting and adjustable straps can make a significant difference in how your tankini feels and looks. Here are some factors to consider when checking the strap fit of a tankini:
- Strap Length: The length of the straps should be adjustable to ensure a customized fit. Look for tankinis with straps that can be lengthened or shortened according to your preference and body shape.
- Shoulder Comfort: Consider the thickness and padding of the tankini straps. Thicker straps or straps with padding can help distribute the weight and provide added comfort, especially if you have a larger bust.
- Strap Style: Tankinis offer various strap styles, such as halter, crisscross, or adjustable over-the-shoulder straps. Choose a style that not only complements your body shape but also provides the support and security you need.
- Strap Attachment: Examine how the straps are attached to the tankini top. Look for sturdy and well-secured attachments to ensure that the straps stay in place during movement and water activities.
- Range of Motion: When trying on a tankini, perform a range of arm and shoulder movements to test the strap fit. The straps should stay securely in place without digging into your skin or causing discomfort.
The strap fit of a tankini is essential for providing the right support and ensuring that the swimsuit stays in place while you enjoy your time in the water. By considering these factors and trying on different tankini options, you’ll be able to find a style with straps that offer a comfortable and secure fit, allowing you to move with confidence and ease.
Ensuring Comfort and Functionality
In addition to finding the right size and fit, ensuring comfort and functionality is vital when selecting a tankini. Here are some key factors to consider for a comfortable and functional tankini:
- Fabric: Look for tankinis made from high-quality, durable, and quick-drying fabrics. Fabrics with built-in UV protection are also beneficial to protect your skin from the sun’s harmful rays.
- Lining: Consider tankinis with a lining, as it helps provide additional support and coverage. It also prevents the swimsuit from becoming see-through when wet.
- Stretch: Ensure that the fabric has enough stretch for flexibility and ease of movement. This is particularly important for activities such as swimming, playing beach volleyball, or lounging by the pool.
- Chafing Prevention: Look for tankinis with flatlock seams or seamless construction to minimize chafing and irritation, especially during long hours of swimming or water activities.
- Closure Options: Consider the closure options for the tankini top, such as back closures, tie-backs, or front zippers. Choose a closure that is easy to adjust and secure, providing a comfortable fit.
- Functionality: Think about your intended use for the tankini. If you plan to be active in the water, look for additional features like built-in shorts, hidden pockets, or removable cups for added convenience and functionality.
- Maintenance: Take into account the care instructions for the tankini. Choose a swimsuit that is easy to care for and can withstand frequent use and washing without losing its shape or color.
By considering these comfort and functionality factors, you can find a tankini that not only fits well but also meets your needs for various water activities. Remember, your comfort and confidence in your tankini are paramount, so take the time to find a swimsuit that provides both.
Finding the perfect tankini that fits well and flatters your body is essential for both comfort and confidence when enjoying the sun and water. By following the guidelines outlined in this article, you can confidently navigate the process of finding the right size and fit for your tankini.
Understanding tankinis, with their flexibility and style options, allows you to choose a swimsuit that suits your individual preference and body shape. Whether you prefer more coverage, adjustable features, or specific design elements, there is a tankini out there that will make you look and feel amazing.
Remember to consider the bust fit, waist fit, hip fit, length, strap fit, as well as overall comfort and functionality when selecting a tankini. Taking measurements, consulting size guides, and trying on different styles will help you find the perfect fit that enhances your natural curves and provides the support and coverage you desire.
Additionally, prioritize factors such as fabric quality and stretch, chafing prevention, closure options, and ease of maintenance. Having a comfortable and functional tankini will make it easier for you to enjoy your time in and out of the water, whether you’re swimming, sunbathing, or participating in water sports.
Ultimately, finding the right tankini is an exciting journey that allows you to express your personal style and feel confident in your swimwear. With the right fit, you can embrace your body and enjoy your beach or poolside adventures to the fullest.