How To Style Swimsuit
Modified: August 6, 2023
Discover how to style swimsuits for women with our expert tips and tricks. From trendy cuts to flattering colors, we'll help you rock your beach look this summer.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Under-tec.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Table of Contents
Welcome to the world of swimsuit styling! Whether you’re planning a beach vacation, heading to the pool, or simply enjoying some fun in the sun, finding the perfect swimsuit that not only fits well but also makes you feel confident and stylish is essential. With so many options available today, it can be overwhelming to navigate through different styles, colors, and patterns. But fear not! In this article, we will guide you through the process of choosing the right swimsuit and provide you with expert styling tips to help you rock your desired look.
When it comes to swimsuits, comfort and confidence go hand in hand. It’s important to find a swimsuit that flatters your body type, suits your personal style, and makes you feel fabulous. Whether you prefer a classic one-piece, a trendy bikini, or a stylish tankini, there’s a swimsuit out there that’s perfect for you.
In this comprehensive guide, we will discuss how to choose the right swimsuit based on your body type, how to decide on the swimwear style that suits you best, and how to select the perfect colors and patterns that complement your skin tone and personal style. We will also explore the art of accessorizing your swimsuit to elevate your beach or poolside look.
Additionally, we will provide valuable styling tips and suggestions for different body types, helping you accentuate your assets and feel confident in your swimwear. No matter if you have a pear-shaped, hourglass, athletic, or plus-size figure, there are styling tricks that can help you embrace your unique shape and make you look and feel amazing in your swimsuit.
Lastly, we will touch on the importance of proper care and maintenance for your swimsuit. After all, a well-cared-for swimsuit will not only last longer but also keep its shape and vibrant colors intact, ensuring that you can enjoy it for many seasons to come.
So, are you ready to dive into the world of swimsuit styling? Let’s explore the exciting journey of finding the perfect swimsuit and creating your own signature beach or poolside style!
Choosing the Right Swimsuit
One of the most crucial steps in creating a stylish beach or poolside look is choosing the right swimsuit. Here are some essential factors to consider when selecting the perfect swimsuit:
1. Body Type: Understanding your body type is key to finding a swimsuit that highlights your best features. If you have an hourglass figure, opt for styles that accentuate your waist. For pear-shaped bodies, swimsuits with ruffles or patterns on top can help balance out wider hips. Athletic body types can consider styles that create curves, such as a bikini with ruched details. Plus-size figures can embrace high-waisted bottoms and supportive tops for a flattering look.
2. Support and Comfort: It’s essential to choose a swimsuit that provides proper support and allows you to move comfortably. Look for features like adjustable straps, built-in bras, underwire, or a supportive band to ensure the perfect fit. Consider the activities you’ll be engaging in, whether it’s swimming laps or lounging by the pool, and select a style that suits your needs.
3. Neckline and Bottom Styles: The neckline and bottom styles play a crucial role in determining the overall look of your swimsuit. If you have a smaller bust, consider styles with push-up or padded cups to create the illusion of volume. Halter necklines can provide additional support and draw attention to your shoulders. As for bottoms, options like high-waisted or hipster can flatter different body types, while bikinis with side ties allow for adjustability.
4. Fabric Choice: Opt for swimsuits made from high-quality fabrics that are durable and offer good stretch and recovery. Look for materials like nylon, polyester, or spandex, which can provide excellent support and hold their shape. Additionally, consider fabrics with UV protection for extra sun safety.
5. Try Before You Buy: When shopping for swimsuits, don’t be afraid to try on different styles and sizes. Remember that sizing can vary between brands, so it’s important to find the right fit that makes you feel comfortable and confident. Take the time to assess how the swimsuit looks and feels on your body, and don’t settle for anything less than perfect.
By considering these factors and understanding your body type, you can confidently choose a swimsuit that flatters your figure, provides the necessary support, and reflects your personal style. So go ahead and hit the beach or pool with confidence, knowing that you’ve chosen the right swimsuit for you!
Deciding on the Swimwear Style
When it comes to swimwear, there is a wide range of styles to choose from. Each style offers a unique look and can cater to different preferences. Here are some popular swimwear styles to consider:
1. One-Piece: A classic and timeless choice, the one-piece swimsuit offers a chic and sophisticated look. It provides more coverage and is perfect for those seeking a modest yet stylish option. One-piece swimsuits come in various designs, including halter neck, bandeau, and high-neck styles, allowing you to choose a style that flatters your body type and suits your personal taste.
2. Bikini: The bikini is a go-to swimwear style for many women, offering a flirty and playful look. It consists of separate top and bottom pieces, exposing more skin and allowing for more freedom of movement. Bikinis come in different variations, such as triangle, bandeau, or push-up tops, and classic, high-waisted, or string bottoms. This style is versatile and can be customized to suit individual preferences.
3. Tankini: The tankini combines the coverage of a one-piece swimsuit with the convenience of a two-piece. It consists of a tank top-style top and bottoms, providing more coverage for the midsection while still offering the versatility of a bikini. Tankinis are a popular choice for those who want more modesty or prefer additional support and comfort.
4. Monokini: For those looking to make a bold and daring statement, the monokini is the perfect choice. This style features a one-piece swimsuit that is strategically cut out, creating unique and eye-catching designs. Monokinis are available in various styles, such as side cut-outs, waist cut-outs, or even front cut-outs. This style is ideal for those who want to show a little more skin while still maintaining some coverage.
5. Swim Skirt: If you prefer a more feminine and modest swimwear option, consider a swim skirt. This style combines a skirt-like bottom with a bikini or tankini top, providing coverage for the hips and thighs. Swim skirts are versatile and can be paired with various top styles, allowing for customization and flexibility in creating your desired look.
When deciding on the swimwear style that suits you best, consider factors such as your body type, personal style, and level of comfort. Experiment with different styles to see which ones flatter your figure and make you feel confident. Remember, the key is to choose a style that empowers you and allows you to embrace your unique beauty.
Selecting Colors and Patterns
Colors and patterns play a significant role in the overall look and style of your swimsuit. They can enhance your features, complement your skin tone, and even reflect your personal style. Here are some tips to consider when selecting colors and patterns for your swimsuit:
1. Understanding Your Skin Tone: One of the primary factors to consider when choosing colors for your swimsuit is your skin tone. For those with warm undertones, shades like coral, peach, and earthy tones can complement your complexion. If you have cool undertones, colors like blues, greens, and purples can be flattering. Experiment with different hues to find the ones that make your skin glow.
2. Classic Neutrals: When in doubt, you can’t go wrong with classic neutral colors like black, white, navy, or gray. These colors are timeless and versatile, making them easy to mix and match with other pieces. They also have a slimming effect and can create a sleek and sophisticated look.
3. Bold and Vibrant Colors: If you want to make a statement and stand out, consider opting for bold and vibrant colors. Bright shades of red, orange, yellow, or neon hues can create a fun and energetic look. These colors are perfect for those who want to add a pop of personality to their swimsuit ensemble.
4. Prints and Patterns: Prints and patterns can add visual interest and personality to your swimsuit. Floral prints, tropical motifs, stripes, polka dots, and geometric patterns are just some of the options available. Choose patterns that suit your personal style and body type. Smaller prints can create the illusion of a slimmer figure, while larger prints can add dimension and draw attention to specific areas.
5. Mixing and Matching: Don’t be afraid to mix and match different colors and patterns. By pairing a solid-colored top with a patterned bottom or vice versa, you can create a unique and personalized swimwear look. This approach allows you to play with different combinations and create endless possibilities without having to stick to a single color or pattern.
Ultimately, the choice of colors and patterns for your swimsuit is a matter of personal preference. Experiment with different options, consider your skin tone and body type, and choose what makes you feel confident and beautiful. Remember, the right colors and patterns can enhance your overall look and make a statement as you enjoy your time in the sun.
Accessorizing Your Swimsuit
Accessorizing your swimsuit is a fun and creative way to elevate your beach or poolside look. Adding the right accessories can not only enhance the overall style of your swimsuit but also showcase your personal flair. Here are some tips for accessorizing your swimsuit:
1. Hats: A stylish hat not only provides protection from the sun but also adds a touch of glamour to your swimwear ensemble. Opt for a wide-brimmed hat to shield your face and shoulders from the sun’s rays while exuding a chic and sophisticated vibe. Straw hats, floppy hats, and fedoras are popular choices that can complement various swimwear styles.
2. Sunglasses: Sunglasses are a must-have accessory for any beach or pool outing. Not only do they protect your eyes from harmful UV rays, but they also add a touch of style to your look. Choose sunglasses that flatter your face shape and complement your overall swimwear ensemble. Aviators, cat-eye frames, and oversized sunglasses are timeless options that can suit a variety of styles.
3. Cover-Ups: Cover-ups are versatile pieces that can effortlessly transition your swimwear from the beach to a beachside cafe or resort. Consider options like a flowy maxi dress, a lightweight sarong, a kimono-style cover-up, or a breezy kaftan. These cover-ups not only provide additional coverage but also add an extra layer of style and sophistication to your swimwear.
4. Jewelry: Delicate and minimalistic jewelry can add a touch of elegance to your swimwear look. Opt for lightweight and waterproof accessories like dainty necklaces, bracelets, or anklets. Be mindful of the materials you choose, as chlorine and saltwater can be harsh on jewelry. Alternatively, consider wearing natural elements such as shell or bead jewelry, which can enhance your beachy vibes.
5. Beach Bags: A stylish beach bag is a practical accessory that can hold all your essentials while adding a fashionable touch to your ensemble. Choose a roomy tote, a colorful straw bag, or a trendy mesh bag that complements your swimwear. Look for features like zippered compartments and a waterproof lining for added functionality.
6. Sandals or Flip-Flops: Complete your beach or poolside look with a comfortable and stylish pair of sandals or flip-flops. Opt for waterproof options that are easy to slip on and off and provide adequate support for walking on sand or by the pool. Consider trendy slide sandals, classic flip-flops, or metallic strappy sandals to match your swimwear style.
Remember, when accessorizing your swimsuit, less is often more. Choose a couple of key accessories that enhance your overall look without overpowering your swimwear. Focus on pieces that are practical, stylish, and reflect your personal style. With the right accessories, you can create a unique and fashionable beach or poolside ensemble that turns heads wherever you go.
Styling Tips for Different Body Types
Every body is unique, and finding the right swimsuit that flatters your figure and makes you feel confident is important. Here are some styling tips tailored for different body types to help you embrace your shape and rock your swimwear look:
1. Pear-Shaped Body: If you have a pear-shaped body, meaning your hips are wider than your bust, consider swimsuits that draw attention to your upper body. Opt for patterns, bright colors, or bold details on the top to balance out your proportions. Look for bottoms with higher cuts to elongate your legs and create a more balanced silhouette.
2. Apple-Shaped Body: For those with an apple-shaped body, where the midsection is the widest part, focus on swimwear styles that create the illusion of a more defined waistline. Look for one-piece swimsuits that have ruching or shirring at the waist to provide a slimming effect. High-waisted bottoms can also help to cinch the waist and create a flattering shape.
3. Hourglass Figure: If you have an hourglass figure, where the bust and hips are relatively equal in size with a defined waist, embrace styles that accentuate your curves. Consider a bikini or a swimsuit with a wrap design that highlights your waistline. Opt for bottoms with a higher cut to elongate your legs and create a balanced look.
4. Athletic Build: If you have an athletic body type, with well-toned and proportionate muscles, you can play with different swimwear styles to create curves. Choose swimsuits with ruffles, fringes, or padding to add volume and feminine appeal. Opt for bold colors, prints, or patterns to create the illusion of curves.
5. Plus-Size Body: Plus-size figures can embrace swimsuits that offer support, coverage, and confidence. Look for one-piece swimsuits or tankinis with underwire, built-in bras, or adjustable straps for extra support. High-waisted bottoms can provide coverage and create a more streamlined silhouette. Consider monochromatic or vertical stripe patterns to elongate your body.
Remember, these tips are just guidelines, and the most important thing is to feel comfortable and confident in your swimwear. Embrace your body type, experiment with different styles, and choose swimsuits that highlight your favorite features. The key to looking great in a swimsuit is embracing and loving the body you’re in. Embrace your unique beauty and rock that swimwear with confidence!
Maintaining and Caring for Your Swimsuit
Proper care and maintenance of your swimsuit are essential to ensure its longevity and keep it looking its best. Here are some tips to help you maintain and care for your swimsuit:
1. Rinse After Each Use: After wearing your swimsuit, rinse it thoroughly with fresh water. This will help remove chlorine, saltwater, sunscreen, and any other residues that can damage the fabric over time.
2. Hand Wash or Gentle Machine Wash: Hand washing is the best method to clean your swimsuit. Use a gentle detergent and lukewarm water, and gently agitate the swimsuit. If you choose to machine wash, select the delicate cycle and use a mesh laundry bag to protect the fabric.
3. Avoid Harsh Chemicals: Avoid using harsh chemicals, bleach, or fabric softeners when washing your swimsuit, as they can damage the elastic fibers and affect the color and shape of the fabric.
4. Avoid Wrinkling or Twisting: When handling your wet swimsuit, avoid wringing or twisting it, as this can cause the fabric to lose its shape and elasticity. Instead, gently squeeze out the excess water or roll it in a clean towel to absorb moisture.
5. Air Dry: It is best to air dry your swimsuit by laying it flat on a clean towel or hanging it in a shaded area. Avoid direct sunlight, as it can fade the colors and weaken the fabric.
6. Avoid Rough Surfaces: Be mindful of where you sit or lie down while wearing your swimsuit. Rough surfaces such as concrete, rocks, or wooden chairs can cause snagging or pilling on the fabric. Use a towel or a designated beach mat to protect your swimsuit.
7. Rotate Your Swimsuits: It’s a good idea to have multiple swimsuits and rotate them throughout your beach or pool outings. This allows each swimsuit to rest and regain its shape and elasticity between uses.
8. Store Properly: When not in use, store your swimsuit in a dry and ventilated area. Avoid folding or creasing the fabric excessively, as this can cause wrinkles and affect the shape. Consider using a swimsuit bag or a separate compartment in your beach bag to keep it protected.
By following these care and maintenance tips, you can extend the lifespan of your swimsuit and keep it looking fresh and vibrant for multiple seasons. Remember, investing a little extra time and effort in caring for your swimsuit will ensure that you can continue to enjoy it and feel confident in it for many beach or poolside adventures to come!
Choosing and styling the perfect swimsuit is an exciting journey that allows you to express your personal style, embrace your body type, and feel confident and beautiful. By following the tips and guidelines provided in this article, you can navigate the world of swimsuit styling with ease.
Remember to consider your body type when selecting a swimsuit that flatters your figure and accentuates your best features. Experiment with different styles, colors, and patterns to find the ones that make you feel confident and comfortable. Don’t be afraid to mix and match to create your own unique beach or poolside look.
To complete your swimwear ensemble, consider accessorizing with hats, sunglasses, cover-ups, jewelry, and stylish beach bags. These accessories can elevate your look and showcase your personal flair. Remember to choose accessories that are practical and reflect your personal style.
Additionally, proper care and maintenance of your swimsuit are vital to ensure its longevity and keep it looking its best. Rinse your swimsuit after each use and avoid using harsh chemicals when washing. Air dry your swimsuit and store it properly to prevent damage and maintain its shape.
Ultimately, the key to rocking your swimsuit with confidence is embracing your unique beauty and loving the body you’re in. Whether you have a pear-shaped, apple-shaped, hourglass, athletic, or plus-size figure, there are swimsuits that can enhance your features and make you feel amazing.
So, go ahead and dive into the world of swimsuit styling! Have fun exploring different styles, experimenting with colors and patterns, and accessorizing your swimwear. Most importantly, enjoy the sun, sand, and water with confidence and a smile on your face as you showcase your unique style and embrace the joy of being by the pool or at the beach!