How To Style A Kimono Cardigan
Modified: August 5, 2023
Discover how to style a kimono cardigan for all occasions. Whether you're dressing up or going for a casual look, this versatile piece is a must-have in your wardrobe!
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Under-tec.com, at no extra cost. Learn more)
Table of Contents
Kimono cardigans are versatile and fashionable pieces that can elevate any outfit. With their flowing silhouette and intricate patterns, they add a touch of elegance to your ensemble. Whether you’re heading to a casual brunch or a formal event, a kimono cardigan is a stylish option that can easily be dressed up or down.
One of the best things about kimono cardigans is that they are suitable for all body types and can be worn by anyone. Plus, they come in a wide range of fabrics, colors, and prints, allowing you to find the perfect one that reflects your personal style.
In this article, we will guide you on how to style a kimono cardigan to create stunning looks for various occasions. We will delve into choosing the right kimono cardigan, pairing it with basic tops, styling it with jeans or shorts, dressing it up with skirts or dresses, accessorizing it, exploring layering techniques, and taking proper care of your kimono cardigan.
So, if you’re ready to level up your fashion game with a kimono cardigan, let’s dive into the world of style and find out all the amazing ways to wear this versatile wardrobe staple!
Choosing a Kimono Cardigan
When it comes to choosing a kimono cardigan, there are a few factors to consider to ensure you find the perfect one that suits your style and needs. Here are some tips to help you in the process:
- Fabric: Pay attention to the fabric of the kimono cardigan. If you’re looking for a lightweight option for summer, opt for materials like chiffon or silk. For colder seasons, consider a kimono cardigan made of thicker fabrics like wool or jacquard.
- Pattern and Print: Kimono cardigans come in a variety of patterns and prints. Choose a design that complements your personal style and can be easily mixed and matched with your wardrobe. From floral to geometric prints, there’s something for everyone.
- Length: Kimono cardigans come in different lengths, ranging from short to long. Consider your body type and the look you want to achieve when deciding on the length. Shorter lengths are great for petite frames, while longer lengths can add drama and elegance to any outfit.
- Color: Select colors that complement your skin tone and can be easily paired with other items in your wardrobe. Neutral tones like black, white, or beige offer versatility and can be dressed up or down effortlessly.
- Fit: Ensure the kimono cardigan fits you well. It should drape comfortably over your shoulders and have enough room for movement. Avoid styles that are too tight or oversized, as they may not flatter your body shape.
By considering these factors, you can choose a kimono cardigan that aligns with your personal style and enhances your overall look. Remember, experimentation is key, so don’t be afraid to try different styles and designs to find your perfect match.
Pairing with Basic Tops
One of the easiest ways to style a kimono cardigan is by pairing it with basic tops. The kimono cardigan adds an extra layer of style and flair to your everyday outfits. Here are some ideas for pairing your kimono cardigan with basic tops:
- Tank Tops: Pair your kimono cardigan with a simple tank top for a casual and relaxed look. Opt for a solid-colored tank top to let the kimono cardigan take center stage, or choose one with a subtle pattern or texture.
- T-shirts: A classic white t-shirt or a striped tee can be effortlessly paired with a kimono cardigan. This combination offers a perfect blend of comfort and style. Knot the front of the t-shirt for a more trendy and chic look.
- Long Sleeve Tops: For cooler days, layer your kimono cardigan over a long sleeve top. Whether it’s a cozy sweater or a fitted top, the kimono cardigan adds a touch of bohemian charm to your outfit.
- Bodysuits: Bodysuits are another great option to pair with a kimono cardigan. The sleek and fitted silhouette of a bodysuit contrasts beautifully with the flowy nature of the kimono cardigan, creating a stylish and balanced look.
When pairing your kimono cardigan with basic tops, consider the color and print of both pieces. Opt for a neutral or complementary color scheme to ensure a cohesive and visually appealing ensemble. Additionally, pay attention to the length of your tops. If you’re wearing a longer kimono cardigan, choose a shorter top to create proportions and avoid overwhelming your frame.
Lastly, don’t forget to accessorize with a belt or waist cincher to define your waistline and add an extra element of style to your outfit. With the right combination of basic tops and a kimono cardigan, you can effortlessly create casual, chic, or bohemian-inspired looks that suit your personal style.
Styling with Jeans or Shorts
For a laid-back and stylish look, pair your kimono cardigan with jeans or shorts. This combination seamlessly blends comfort and fashion. Here are some tips for styling your kimono cardigan with jeans or shorts:
- Denim Jeans: A classic pair of blue jeans is the perfect match for a kimono cardigan. Pair it with a tucked-in basic top and a statement belt for a polished yet effortless look. Choose a kimono cardigan that complements the color and style of your jeans.
- Distressed Jeans: If you want to add a touch of edge to your outfit, opt for distressed jeans. The ripped details combined with the flowy nature of the kimono cardigan create a captivating contrast. Complete the look with a simple tank top or a graphic tee.
- High-Waisted Shorts: For a summery and playful vibe, style your kimono cardigan with high-waisted shorts. This combination is perfect for warm days and can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. Pair it with a crop top or a tucked-in blouse for a trendy and feminine look.
- Printed Shorts: If you’re feeling bold and adventurous, opt for printed shorts to pair with your kimono cardigan. This combination allows you to mix and match patterns while maintaining a balanced and cohesive look. Choose a kimono cardigan in a complementary color to enhance the overall aesthetic.
When styling your kimono cardigan with jeans or shorts, remember to pay attention to the proportions of the outfit. If you’re wearing loose-fitting pants or shorts, opt for a more fitted kimono cardigan to create a balanced silhouette. Alternatively, if you’re wearing skinny jeans or shorts, you can choose a flowy and oversized kimono cardigan for a bohemian-inspired look.
Don’t forget to complete your outfit with the right accessories. Add a statement necklace, a floppy hat, or some layered bracelets to elevate your look and add a personal touch. With the perfect combination of kimono cardigan, jeans, or shorts, and accessories, you’ll have a stylish and effortless outfit that’s perfect for any casual occasion.
Dressing Up with Skirts or Dresses
When you want to add a touch of elegance and femininity to your ensemble, pairing your kimono cardigan with skirts or dresses is the way to go. The combination of the flowy kimono cardigan and the structured silhouette of a skirt or dress creates a beautiful and sophisticated look. Here are some tips for dressing up with skirts or dresses:
- Maxi Skirts or Dresses: Pair a long, flowy maxi skirt or dress with a kimono cardigan for a bohemian-inspired look. The combination of the kimono cardigan’s patterns and prints with the solid color of the skirt or dress creates a visually striking outfit. Choose a kimono cardigan that complements the color palette of your skirt or dress.
- Pleated Skirts: For a more polished and elegant look, pair your kimono cardigan with a pleated skirt. This combination creates a beautiful juxtaposition of textures. Opt for a solid-colored kimono cardigan to let the pleated skirt be the focal point of your outfit.
- Wrap Dresses: Style your wrap dress with a kimono cardigan for a chic and effortless look. The kimono cardigan adds an extra layer of sophistication to the dress, making it suitable for both casual and formal occasions. Choose a kimono cardigan with a complementary color or print to enhance the overall aesthetic.
- A-Line Skirts: A-line skirts create a flattering and timeless silhouette. Pair your A-line skirt with a kimono cardigan for a feminine and stylish look. Opt for a solid-colored kimono cardigan to keep the focus on the silhouette of the skirt.
When styling your kimono cardigan with skirts or dresses, consider the length and style of both pieces. If you’re wearing a shorter skirt or dress, choose a longer kimono cardigan to create a sense of balance and coverage. Alternatively, if you’re wearing a maxi skirt or dress, you can choose a shorter kimono cardigan to create an interesting visual contrast.
Complete your outfit with the right accessories, such as a statement belt to define your waist, a pair of stylish heels or sandals, and some delicate jewelry. These finishing touches will elevate your look and make you feel sophisticated and confident.
By pairing your kimono cardigan with skirts or dresses, you can effortlessly create elegant and feminine ensembles that are perfect for a variety of occasions, from a summer wedding to a dinner date.
Accessorizing Your Kimono Cardigan
Accessorizing your kimono cardigan is a great way to enhance your outfit and add your personal touch to the look. Here are some tips for accessorizing your kimono cardigan:
- Belts: Add a belt around your waist to cinch in the kimono cardigan and create a more defined silhouette. Choose a belt that complements the color and style of your kimono cardigan.
- Jewelry: Accessorize with statement jewelry pieces such as chunky necklaces, dangle earrings, or stacked bracelets to elevate your kimono cardigan look. Consider the neckline and pattern of your kimono cardigan when selecting your jewelry.
- Scarves: Wrap a lightweight scarf around your neck or tie it on the handle of your bag to add a pop of color and texture to your kimono cardigan outfit. Opt for a scarf in a complementary color or pattern that enhances the overall look.
- Hats: Pair your kimono cardigan with a wide-brimmed hat or a floppy sun hat for a boho-chic vibe. Hats not only add style but also provide sun protection on sunny days.
- Bags: Choose a handbag or crossbody bag that complements your kimono cardigan outfit. Opt for neutral colors or bags with similar patterns to maintain a cohesive and balanced look.
- Shoes: Complete your kimono cardigan look with the right pair of shoes. Depending on the occasion and the style you’re going for, you can opt for sandals, heels, ankle boots, or even sneakers to add a touch of comfort and versatility to your outfit.
Remember that accessories should complement and enhance your kimono cardigan without overpowering it. Choose accessories that align with your personal style and add that extra touch of flair to your look.
Experiment with different combinations and don’t be afraid to mix and match accessories to create unique and eye-catching outfits. The key is to strike a balance between the accessories and the kimono cardigan itself, allowing both elements to shine without overwhelming the overall look.
By putting thought into your accessories, you can transform a simple kimono cardigan outfit into a stylish and personalized ensemble, showcasing your individuality and fashion sense.
Layering is a fantastic way to add depth and dimension to your kimono cardigan outfit. By incorporating different layers, you can create a unique and stylish look that stands out. Here are some layering techniques to try with your kimono cardigan:
- Tee or Blouse Underneath: Layer a basic tee or blouse underneath your kimono cardigan for a simple and effortless look. This adds an extra element of style to your outfit and allows you to play with different patterns and textures.
- Denim or Leather Jacket: For a more edgy and cool vibe, layer your kimono cardigan over a denim or leather jacket. This combination adds a touch of contrast and creates a bold and fashionable statement. Perfect for transitioning between seasons.
- Turtleneck or Sweater: Layering your kimono cardigan over a turtleneck or sweater is a great way to stay warm and stylish during the colder months. Opt for a thinner kimono cardigan to avoid adding too much bulk to your outfit.
- Belted Waist: To create a defined waistline and add structure to your kimono cardigan look, try belting the kimono cardigan at the waist. This layering technique highlights your silhouette and creates a flattering and put-together ensemble.
- Button-Down Shirt: Layer your kimono cardigan over a button-down shirt for a preppy and polished look. Experiment with different collars and patterns to create a visually interesting combination.
- Scarf or Shawl: Layer a lightweight scarf or shawl over your kimono cardigan to add a cozy and stylish touch. This layering technique is perfect for chilly evenings or when you want to add a pop of color or pattern to your outfit.
When layering your kimono cardigan, consider the textures, colors, and patterns of each layer. Mix and match different elements to create a cohesive and visually appealing ensemble.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with different layering techniques and combinations. Layering allows you to showcase your creativity and personalize your kimono cardigan outfit based on your own unique style. Have fun with it and let your fashion sense shine!
Taking Care of Your Kimono Cardigan
Proper care and maintenance of your kimono cardigan are essential to keep it looking its best and prolong its lifespan. Here are some tips on how to take care of your kimono cardigan:
- Read the Care Label: Always check the care label attached to your kimono cardigan for specific washing and care instructions. Different fabrics and designs may have specific requirements, so it’s important to follow them to avoid damage.
- Hand Wash or Gentle Cycle: If your kimono cardigan allows for it, hand washing is the gentlest method of cleaning. Fill a basin with cold water and a mild detergent, then gently swish the kimono cardigan in the water. Rinse thoroughly and lay it flat to dry. If you prefer machine washing, choose the gentle cycle with cold water.
- Avoid Bleach and Harsh Chemicals: Bleach and harsh chemicals can damage the delicate fabric of your kimono cardigan. Avoid using these substances when washing or spot cleaning your kimono cardigan.
- Avoid Direct Heat and Sunlight: Direct heat and sunlight can cause the colors of your kimono cardigan to fade over time. When drying, avoid direct sunlight or high heat sources such as radiators or dryers. Instead, lay it flat on a clean towel or hang it in a shaded area to air dry.
- Handle with Care: Be gentle when handling your kimono cardigan to avoid snagging or tearing the delicate fabric. Avoid sharp objects or rough surfaces that could potentially damage the garment.
- Store Properly: When not wearing your kimono cardigan, store it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. Folding it gently and placing it in a drawer or hanging it on a padded hanger will help maintain its shape and prevent wrinkles.
- Consider Professional Cleaning: If your kimono cardigan has intricate embroidery or beading, it may require professional cleaning. Check with a trusted dry cleaner who specializes in delicate fabrics to ensure proper care.
By following these care instructions, you can keep your kimono cardigan in excellent condition and enjoy it for years to come. Remember that prevention is key, so treat your kimono cardigan with care and avoid exposing it to unnecessary wear and tear.
Investing a little time and effort into properly caring for your kimono cardigan will pay off in the long run, as it will continue to look beautiful and maintain its quality for many occasions to come.
In conclusion, a kimono cardigan is a versatile and stylish wardrobe staple that can elevate any outfit. Whether you’re aiming for a casual, bohemian, or sophisticated look, there are countless ways to style and wear a kimono cardigan. By following the tips we’ve shared on choosing the right kimono cardigan, pairing it with basic tops, styling it with jeans or shorts, dressing it up with skirts or dresses, accessorizing, exploring layering techniques, and taking proper care of it, you can create unique and fashionable looks for various occasions.
Remember to consider your personal style and preferences when styling your kimono cardigan, and don’t be afraid to experiment with different combinations and accessories. With the right kimono cardigan, you can transform a simple outfit into a fashion statement that reflects your individuality.
Ultimately, the key to styling a kimono cardigan is to have fun and embrace your creativity. Let your personal style shine through, and wear your kimono cardigan with confidence. Whether you’re heading out for a casual day with friends or attending a special event, your kimono cardigan will add an effortless touch of elegance and charm to your ensemble. So go ahead, embrace the versatility of the kimono cardigan and make a bold fashion statement!